20 Fun & interesting Facts About Dogs
1. What of the most fascinating things about dogs is that they are all great descendants of wolves. Being all within the same genome of species, they can all breed together and produce a variety of different offspring.
2. The average age of most dogs is around 15-20 years. The oldest dog to have been recorded lived to be a ripe age of 29 years old. This was a Queensland Blue Heeler. Her name was Bluey and lived in Victoria, Australia.
3. Dogs are known for their great sense of smell. Some dogs like bloodhounds even have more acute sense of smell. The smell receptors in a dog's nose can identify over 100 million different smells in its receptors. A blood hound has over 400 million receptors. A Fox terrier has 147 million receptors compared to man’s 5 million receptors.
4. Newfoundland dogs are a unusual breed. They are very well breed swimmers. This is because they have unusual webbing in their feet that help them skim the water. However, it is also known that basset hounds cannot swim.
5. Alaskan malamutes are praised sled dogs in the northerner territories. They have an unusual ear configuration that allows them to bend the ears backwards while running. This makes it easier for the dogs to hear commands, from the sled master while pulling the sled.
6. It is generally known that dogs bark. However, there are two spate breeds of dog that do not bark. That is the Baseni and the Australian Dingo.
7. One of the ways that humans can be uniquely identified is through the use of finger prints. A dog can be uniquely identified in a similar way by using a “nose print”
8. Dogs can move their ears in many different directions which is one of the reasons they have such acute hearing. This is accomplished because of the wide variety of small muscles in their ears.
9. Dogs tend to get very warm during activities. This is because their only sweat glands are located on the paws of their feet.
10. One unusual thing about dogs that are similar to humans is they both have prostate glands.
11. One way a dog will help clean himself is lick the bottom of their paws and then rub the top of their head or back.
12. The largest health concern for dogs is that they have an obesity issue.
13. Dogs can generally run up to 19 miles an hour at full speed. Except, for the greyhound, who can reach speeds up to, 45 miles per hour.
14. When a dog howls at the moon, it is because there is an ingrained instinct in them to call the pack together..
15. When the titanic sunk, there were three dogs that survived, a Newfoundland, a Pomeranian, and a Pekingese. They survived because the owners refused to go on the boats without them.
16. Dogs love to play fetch. However, they would rather play the keep away game where you hide an object and pretend to keep it away from them.
17. Due, to many kids popular beliefs it is generally known that dogs do not like to play dress up and have afternoon tea.
18. When you are, talking with a dog or asking them to fetch something. Pointing to the object Is no good, they will only focus on the tip of your finger not the object you are pointing.
19. When dogs bite it is usually the females that are the main aggressors. More female dog bites occur in the United States then male dog bites.
20. Even in biblical times the dogs were a very important part of the family. They were mentioned more than 14 times in the bible
More by this Author
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
How to build the perfect dog house for your family friend. With all the comforts of home while he is out side to enjoy a new peaceful place your dog can call home
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala