20 Interesting Facts about Animals
Some interesting facts about animals you may or may not know
- A two day old Gazelle can sprint at 96 km/h (60mph) and outrun an adult racehorse.
- When a hippopotamus becomes exited it's sweat turns a red colour.
- Polar bears always attack or defend with their left hand first
- A camel can close it's nose when there is a sandstorm
- The elephant is the only animal with four knees.
- There are approximately 150 ants for every human on the planet
- The eye of a dragon fly has approximately 28000 lenses in it
- Dalmatians are born without spots
- The stripes on a zebra are similar to the human fingerprint in that no two are alike.
- If a tuna fish stops swimming it will die.
- An owl is able to turn its head in a complete circle
- The camel has no gall bladder
- A newly hatched crocodile is three times larger than the egg from which it emerged.
- The neck of a giraffe has the same number of vertebrae as a human.
- Snails only mate once in their lifetime. However it can last for up to 12 hours
- Queen bees can lay up to 3000 eggs in a day
- Koala bears get their names from the aboriginal words which means no drink and in fact they don't need to drink. They get all the liquid they need from the eucalyptus leaves they eat.
- Termites produce substances in their bodies which rust metal, disintegrate glass and burn through lead.
- When a flea jumps the rate of acceleration is almost thirty times greater than the speed at which a human being blacks out.
- Flamingos eat with their head upside down.
More by this Author
Lateral thinking problems are different to usual problems in that they require a sense of thinking outside the box. In some ways it's as much about what information isn't included in the question as what is. Here you...
By the time we reach 60, most of us have lost half our taste and a lot of our sense of smell. The cornea of the eye is the only part of our body that has no blood supply. Hair is so strong that if you were to...