Best Recipe For Bacon and Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Cooking Healthy Foods For Your Dog
Increasingly throughout America, people are cooking main foods and treats for their own pets. I see friends cooking for their dogs and cats and think it may be a good idea. One friend began cooking rice and hamburger for her dog when his stomach was upset, at the suggestion of her veterinarian. This progressed to cooking more often and her dog seem to love it!
This is an extension of the trend more natural and healthier eating among the human, cat, and dog members of the family. Many pets seem to be going vegetarian when their owners do the same. If you are considering this move, check with your veterinarian, because some animal need to have meat in their diets.
Big cats in the zoo come to mind, but house cats and dogs may also need meat. Check with your vet in order to ensure the proper diet for your beloved pet.
I can haz homemade treats?
Homemade Recipe For Dog Treats
I was not able to find a ready-made sweet potato and bacon dog biscuit or similarly flavored treat, but can share this homemade recipe below, if you'd like to make your own.
You can decide exactly how much bacon to use in your recipe and you can adjust the spices up or down as you and your dog please.
For a change, you can cut a sweet potato into quarters lengthwise and bake the quarters in a slow oven or process then in a food dehydrator until crunchy. Some dogs enjoy these alone and you don't have to cook further. You might like them for a snack as well.
After the recipe is presented, a collection of similar ready made treats your dog might enjoy appear for your consideration.
Yam Or Sweet Potato?
Remember that real yams are not sweet potatoes. They are usually long tubers, sometimes slightly hairy looking. Some yams are very long and really ugly in appearance and have a light color.
Muffin Pans Are Great For Dog Treat Baking
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: Two pans of healthy doggie muffins
Please have your dog rate our treats recipe!
Cooking for Your Pet
This is a book full of recipes that you might like to try for your own dog friend. They are easy to make, with clear instructions and easy to find ingredients.
Bacon Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- 1 Large orange sweet potato – Sweet potatoes come in a range of shades from light yellow to deep orange. Find out which your dog prefers. Yams are not sweet potatoes, but are tubers that are long and really ugly looking and have a light color.
- 3 Whole eggs, lightly beaten in a small bowl
- 3/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ - ½ Cup hard-cooked, crumbled bacon.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ginger – Go light on spices unless you know your pet likes them and they’ll do no harm. The ginger might be a bit hot.
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Cup oats – like Quaker oats in the cylindrical box.
- Cooking spray – check for natural ingredients, otherwise use vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cooking spray or oil a muffin pan – large muffins or small muffins is your choice.
- Wash the sweet potato and prick holes all around it with a fork.
- You can microwave the potato until well softened, or you can turn up the oven to 350 degrees F and bake it for about 30 minutes or until done.
- Set cooked potato aside until it has cooled enough to pick up in your hands.
- Rub off the peel and put the potato into a medium sized bowl.
- Add eggs, applesauce, and bacon and mix well. Set aside
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine the seasonings, whole wheat flour, and oats (dry ingredients) and mix well with your hands.
- Form a depression in the middle of the dry ingredients with your hands and put the sweet potato mix into it.
- Carefully mix the dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly to form a dough.
- Fill muffin pans half full of the dough.
- Make sure the oven is at 300 degrees F.
- Bake 25-30 minutes for large muffins, and about 15 minutes for small muffins.
- Remove doggie muffins from the oven and cool pans on a cooling rack for 5 minutes or so.
- Turn out the muffins and cool to room temperature on cooling racks.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Home Cooking for Pets
The following are some useful links leading to additional home cooking ideas for your pet.
- Founders Veterinary Clinic - Home cooking and home made dog food
- Bird Treat Recipes - Birdie Manicotti and Others
- The Pet Cafe, Recipes for Birds - At Cockatiel Cottage, you'll find dozens of good recipes.
You may not yet have considered cooking for your favorite pets, but many of the recipes for pet foods are simple and take little time. Let me know in the Comments section below, if you find any particularly good ones!
Pet Food Alerts And Safety
If you are concerned about pet food safety at any time, the following links may help.
- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - Recalls and Safety Alerts. The FDA is glad to carry information about pet foods as well as for human foods. This agency also carries information about food for farm animals.
- Animal & Veterinary - Specialized FDA animal division.
- Pet Food Alert (petfoodalert) - Twitter postings fast, as information is received.
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
When the circus comes to town, walk along with the elephants in parade or on the Circus Animal Walk. We did and loved it! Do it soon, because after 2018, elephants will no longer be present.
We may never have the full tally of pets before or after the shipwreck, but we can find information on 12 dogs, cats and kittens, a canary, and a flock of chickens. Ships rats are a given. Phantom cows are legendary,...
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.