Cheap Alternative for Pet Shampoo
What most people don't know before they go out and buy all the expensive flea shampoos and prevention medicines is that there is a very cheap, very easy alternative.
I recently discovered that original Dawn dish soap works wonders to get rid of fleas.
Before you go buy that expensive bottle of special doggie or kitty shampoo or any other flea preventative, pick up a bottle of Dawn for a buck and give it a shot. You're probably already bathing your dog regularly so all you'll need to do is switch from flea shampoo to Dawn.
1. Make sure your dog is comfortable with baths, if not, you'll have a fight on your hands.
2. Get your doggie in the tub and wet him down being careful not to get any water in his ears or eyes.
3. Lather him up all over with some original Dawn dish soap. Make sure you don't get any in his eyes and don't let him lick it. While, a little bit probably won't hurt, it's best to try to avoid that.
4. Now, keep him lathered for several minutes. The soap will suffocate and kill the fleas. You'll probably see them running for the head or any dry patch, so pick them off and throw them in the water.
5. Once an adequate amount of time has passed and you're seeing dead fleas, rinse the doggie off completely. Make sure to get all that soap out.
6. Dry doggie and repeat when needed!
Dawn also works on cats. My kitty was starting to get a few fleas and I quickly gave him a bath with Dawn, and now he's flea free! Cat shampoos are also sometimes harsh on kitties, as they have sensitive skin. Dawn is a very good alternative. You should also never give your pet a HARTZ product. Cats groom themselves and there have been many cases of seizures and deaths in those that have been given HARTZ. http://www.hartzvictims.org/
If your animal continues to get fleas, the problem isn't the soap. You most likely need to treat your home or yard. Once a flea infestation has been moved inside the house, you can't just wash the dog and think the problem is over. They're everywhere! So treat your home and if necessary the yard also.
If you don't mind bathing your dog, you probably won't have to worry about paying for expensive flea prevention medicines you squeeze on. I used these on our yellow lab and they never seemed to help. A good bath is what she needed. I wish I had known about Dawn when I had her, as she loved bath time.
Remember that Dawn is used on bird and animals covered in oil. It is completely safe for your pet!
More by this Author
When my fiance and I started our backpacking/hitchhiking trip our packs weighed close to 30lbs, by the time we finished, they averaged 15-20 lbs. This is a complete list of the items we carried at the end of our...