Chinese Red Pandas at Binder Park Zoo
The Chinese red panda at Binder Park Zoo has become a favorite animal to visit for frequent zoo goers, especially of those who came to visit in the fall of 2010. Flynn and Sorrel, two cute baby red panda cubs were born in June 2010 and ventured out onto exhibit near the end of the season. Instead of seeing a sleeping red panda, as was the usual scene, guests were delighted to watch the antics of Flynn and Sorrel as they explored their exhibit with mom keeping a close eye on the pair.
Binder Park Zoo participates in the red panda Species Survival Plan through the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Flynn and Sorrel were the first red panda cubs at the Zoo raised naturally by their parents. Previous cubs have been hand raised by the keeper staff as a precaution to ensure the health of the animals.
Other Binder Park Zoo Animal Hubs
- Snow Leopards at Binder Park Zoo
Capron, a male snow leopard residing at Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek, MI. The snow leopard exhibit at Binder Park Zoo is one of the best in the country, providing excellent views of these elusive cats to...
Chinese Red Panda Facts
- Range: Eastern Himalayas to southwestern China.
- Conservation Status: Vulnerable
- Diet: Mostly bamboo, but will supplement their diet with berries, insects, mushrooms, fruit, and grasses.
- Red pandas are solitary animals other than for breeding.
- Binder Park Zoo has more than one red panda, but generally only have one on exhibit at a time. There are off exhibit areas for breeding and for the pandas that are not on exhibit to live and be cared for.
More by this Author
A guide to setting up your Water Dragon Outpost in Dragons of Atlantis, an empire building game on Facebook. Discover the best way to set up your Water Dragon Outpost and dominate your enemies.
There are many different jobs available in the zoo and aquarium industry that do not require a biology degree. This article touches on what kind of jobs to look for and how you can make a difference working for a zoo...
A guide to playing and winning ESPN Streak for the Cash.