Is Pet Health Insurance Worth Buying
When Your Dog Feels Bad, You Can Feel Good About Having Pet Health Insurance!
Pet Health Insurance
"...the best thing about health insurance for my pet is that by having it, I never have to decide which is more important; my bank balance or my pet."
As with any type of insurance, you may well be paying for something you will never need. But, it's nice to have it should a situation arise where your health is in jeopardy. Dog health insurance is the same as health insurance for humans. As we all know, the insurance business is just that, a business. And in being such, pet insurance is a business that exists strictly to make money (and lots of it). So you may be asking, "What is health insurance for my dog?" and "Why is it so important?" In essence, pet health insurance insures your pet against emergency medical costs while charging you a monthly fee (premium) whether or not your dog gets sick or injured.
Pet Insurance in a Nutshell
In a nut shell, you can take the risk yourself, or you can pay the insurance company to take the risk on behalf of you and your dog. In my opinion, the best thing about dog health insurance is, that by having it, I never have to decide which is more important; my bank balance or my dog.
Cat Drinking from a Glass
The Market For Pet Health Insurance
Pet Health Insurance, In the beginning...
In 1982, we saw the first indicators in the United States that a market for dog health insurance was igniting. The flag ship company Veterinary Pet Insurance (V.P.I.), who remains the largest pet insurance agency in the country, was the first to find those pet owners who desired only the best for their dogs. Between 1982 and 1998 around thirty different pet insurers popped up and then went away. Currently only a few remain to offer coverage for our canine friends. However, in the U.S. lucky pets are being insured by their owners more and more each year. Even though only a small number of pet insurance companies service the grand number of nationwide plans, many savvy predictions indicate a fierce growth within the pet insurance industry is just around the corner.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF PET INSURANCE BY STATE
FInd your state's Department of Pet Insurance using this handy search by zip code site.
What to Consider When Buying Pet Health Insurance
- Make sure the pet insurance company you choose is licensed in YOUR state. Confirm that the company you choose is licensed by the Department of Insurance and is regulated in your state.
- Find a pet health carrier that has been business for at least 3 years.
- If you have a puppy or kitten, see if it's better to get pet insurance for routine care as well as for emergency and illness coverage.
- Check with your vet to see which pet health insurance companies they find most reliable.
Dogs Know What "VET" Means!
What Will You Do?
Would you consider getting pet health insurance to save on any medical bills for your pet?See results without voting
- Surf the Internet for complaints or law suits against the pet insurance company you are considering.
- Read the policy carefully, conditions and exclusions may apply. Several policies will not cover congenital or hereditary problems. Some companies won't cover preexisting conditions if your dog has been treated for the condition in the past six months—or at all.
- Talk to pet owners who already have an insurance plan for their dog. See what they have had problems with, and what they have found effective.
- If you belong to a pet-industry organization or if your employer has an affiliation with a pet organization, see if any discounts can be had. Some organizations may offer a group rate or contribute to premiums.
- Know what your individual pet's health needs are. Your dog's age, sex, and size all matter when thinking about your pets medical needs now, and years to come. Some dog breeds have distinct medical issues simply because of their configuration; eye and snout problems in Pugs, skin allergies in Golden retrievers, hip dysplasia in German Shepherds, dental issues with toy breeds, and the list goes on.
Recapping some Do's and Don't of Pet Insurance (1 min. 47 sec. YouTube video)
More by this Author
Wondering if there is a natural remedy for your dog's upset stomach? Then you don't want to miss this article! Very simple and effective ways to help you manage a dog's sick tummy holistically.
Looking for a thorough look at natural treatments for your dog's ear mite problem? Well, you are in the right place! Easy to follow directions and formulas for a natural approach to ear care in dogs.
The most common people foods are the most deadly to your dog. This list surprises even the most knowledgeable of dog people.