Are Dachshunds the Best Dogs for You?
Some Background on Dachshunds
Dachshunds or "weiner dogs" are originally from Germany. Even though they don't look like the regular hunting dogs most of us are used to, their long noses, short legs, and small bodies are great for hunting small, ground-dwelling animals. The term Dachshund in German actually translates to "badger hound." It's hard to imagine a small dog going after a badger but that just shows you how fearless Dachshunds are and are powerful despite their size, after all, dynamite does come in small packages! Also, it is said that the original Dachshund breed was around thirty pounds whereas today's average Dachshund weighs about 15 pounds.
Dachshund dogs have a reputation for stubbornness and like to be dominate. This makes for strong, lovable personalities that you can't find just anywhere.
That's my Sadie the Dachshund!
Dachshunds are Great on Roadtrips
Dachshunds' Long Bodies Offer More Belly to Rub
10 Reasons to Love a Dachshund
- Despite the Dachshund's long body, they can curl up and fit perfectly in your lap.
- Even people that do not usually prefer small dogs fall in love with them. Most of my male friends have made fun of my Dachshund for being a small "ankle-biter" dog but once they are around her for a while end up loving her!
- They "make" you love them. Dachshunds have somewhat of a pushy personality and will force themselves into your activities. A lot of times when I'm writing on my laptop my Dachshund will push my computer off my lap with her nose telling me it is time for loves and play.
- They are both independent and dependent. Dachshunds make you feel loved and needed when it comes to wanting attention but can be good when left alone in the house while you're at work or school.
- Dachshunds are smart. They can outwit their owners in during play time and learn very fast.
- It's easy to teach Dachshunds new tricks. It took my only one time of showing my Dachshund what it meant to "sit." She has been a pro ever since, always expecting a treat in return though.
- They know the difference between play time and snuggle time. My Dachshund expects a fair amount of tug-of-war and fetch but she also can tell when I am ready to relax and snuggles in with me for movie time.
- Dachshunds know what it means to be a best friend. My dog senses when I'm sad or depressed and is always there for hugs and an understanding face. She's always excited to see me and protects me even when my boyfriend is just play-fighting with me.
- They love children. My girl can tell the difference between a child and an adult and has put up with being carried wrong, having her ears and tail played with, and the not-so-soft petting of children.
- Dachshunds are cute! Their faces are not only ones that their mothers can love, they have a universally cute shape and face.
Cute Dachshund Video!
Dogs Really Can be Best Friends
My Dachshund Sadie is absolutely my best and closest friend. You can tell them anything and can be sure that they will not be running off to blab your secrets. Dogs really can tell when you are feeling sad or down and make it seem like they really understand you and are there to offer your comfort. It's no wonder why they offer dogs as support to love and support people that need companions. Dachshunds may not be the only dogs to offer friendship to their owners but I sure love mine and know that I could not get another type of dog after her.
More by this Author
How to get rid of red algae in your aquarium with and without chemicals. This is a problem many tank owners encounter and is not as hard as you think to solve.
This covers the all of the basics you need to know when starting a saltwater fish tank. Includes sand, water, rock, and equipment information.
New smartphone apps can hide texts and calls from certain users—and keep nosy partners or parents from even suspecting what's going on.