The Dangers of Giving a Dog Burnt Toast
Can you Give a Dog Burnt Toast?
Giving a dog burnt toast is not as good as thought. Whether you're considering giving Rover a slice of toast you burnt due to not paying attention to your toaster's setting or are thinking about using it to absorb some toxins he accidentally ingested, you may be doing more harm than good. The reasons for this are several, so let's take a look at some issues.
The Issue of Feeding Burnt Toast as a Treat
If your toaster's settings were messed up or you forgot all about your toast while you were chatting on Facebook or tweeting, you may feel tempted to give that burnt toast to Rover. If you have a dog that looks at you with imploring eyes as if tossing something in the trash was almost an immoral act, you can't be blamed. Don't give in.
For starters, consider that any bread-based treats shouldn't encompass more than 5 to 10 percent of Rover's total caloric intake, according to the ASPCA. While the occasional slightly darker shade of toast (not burnt) may not be a big deal, it's best not to make feeding such leftovers a habit.
Now, burnt toast is a whole different issue, and it's not about taste or adding calories to Rover's diet. The issue is that charred toast may contain dangerous acrylamide, a potentially carcinogenic (cancer-causing) compound often seen in foods cooked at high temperatures. This compound, which is harmful to both humans and pets can be reduced by cooking toast to only light shades of brown suggests the Food and Drug Administration.
The Issue of Feeding Burnt Toast as an Antidote
My dog ate chocolate, can I give burnt toast? This is a common question we were asked at veterinary clinic. There are many issues with this. First and foremost, burnt toast isn't the equivalent of activated charcoal. Many may have heard about the folk remedy of using burnt toast as a substitute for the powerful activated charcoal you would find in human and veterinary hospitals. This is not the same.
For starters, activated charcoal is made by burning special wood and then exposing it to high temperature via steam or air for the purpose of increasing its absorption power. On the other hand, with burnt toast we're simply talking about charred fats, proteins and carbohydrates, and of course along with that, those harmful acrylamide components.
Burnt toast shouldn't be used as a substitute for activated charcoal explain veterinarians Julie Ann Lutz and Johanna Heseltine in an article for Vet Learn . It's inert and ineffective. Dr. Fiona a veterinarian working for Just Answer, claims "it isn't adequate as a replacement for 'activated charcoal' Worst of all, dog owners who search for home remedies such as milk, vegetable oil and burnt toast for dogs who ingested a potentially harmful toxin, are ultimately wasting precious time and likely are also failing in giving the correct type of first aid.
If Burnt Toast Isn't the Universal Answer, Then What?
So if burnt toast isn't the life saver you thought it was, then what should you do if your dog ingests a toxin? Depending on the toxin your dog ingested, every second counts and for each toxin there's a different antidote and solution. The Pet Poison Helpline warns about using home remedies such as milk, peanut butter, vegetable oil, or salt without consulting with a veterinarian first.
To play it safe, immediately call you vet or poison control. Have the bottle or wrapper of the toxic food ready so you can read off the ingredients, give your dog's weight and let them know how long ago the toxin was ingested. Your vet or poison control should tell you if you should induce vomiting or not and if there are any antidotes you can use to delay absorption. Don't give activated charcoal unless your vet says so. For instance, you may not be aware that hydrogen peroxide should never be given to a dog who ingests a caustic substance (you don't want the substance to cause burns twice, once on the way down and again on the way up). Also, activated charcoal should never be given to dogs who have ingested caustic products as these are not absorbed systematically and can mask oral and esophageal burns according to the ASPCA.
It's not a bad idea to keep hydrogen peroxide and compressed activated charcoal tablets in your dog's first aid kit (see Dr Mark1961's hub on how to make a dog first aid kit), but as mentioned, you'll need to heed your vet's advice first. Depending on the toxin, you may be asked to induce vomiting and/or give activated charcoal while on your way to the vet.
So is burnt toast totally useless? You may have seen many websites recommending burnt toast, but if you think about it, if burnt toast was really a cure-all that works for all possible types of toxins and poisons a dog would ingest, you would see all veterinary and human hospitals stocked heavily with Wonder bread and it would be included in first aid kits. Instead it's not and for many good reasons....
Disclaimer: if your dog ingested a toxin, don't waste time online looking for home remedies! Contact your vet or poison control immediately. Keep the ASPCA poison control phone number handy: (888) 426-4435 A $65 fee applies. This article is not to be used as a substitute for veterinary advice. By reading this article you accept this disclaimer.
Alexadry© All rights reserved Do not copy
Veterinarian explains how to induce vomiting
For further reading
- Health risks of dogs ingesting sugar free gum
- What to do if dog ate chocolate
Did your dog just eat chocolate? Wondering what the vets say? Learn the amount and type of chocolate toxic to your dog by using a great chocolate toxicity calculator.
- How and when to induce vomiting in your dog
How to induce vomiting in dogs A time may come when you find out too late that our puppy or dog has ingested something potentially harmful or even poisonous requiring treatment at once. There are are a few things that can be done at home to prevent..
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE704
Learn the warning symptoms of a potential intestinal blockage in dogs and when to see the vet. Ask questions and post comments about your dog's intestinal obstruction.
Learn what may be causing your dog to vomit yellow bile in the morning and how to potentially prevent this annoying problem from recurring.
Learn effective vet-approved natural remedies to treat your dog's stomach problems at home. Find an easy-to-make bland diet recipe for your pup that you can make with food from your kitchen's pantry!