Dog Mushroom Poisoning
Mushrooms can be found growing anywhere. Although some are cultivated, a large percentage of this fungus grows wild in many parts of the world. This lowly fungus not only contains incredible nutrients but also has life saving elements. Unfortunately not all kinds of mushrooms are edible. Mushrooms are common hazards for dogs given their tendency to explore and to eat anything that has caught their fancy. Mushroom poisoning will occur when the dog has ingested toxic mushrooms.
- Can dogs eat cheese?
We all love our dogs. Wouldn't it be ideal if we can maintain their health so that they can outlive the breed life expectancy for at least 4 or 5 more years? A pet parent has the responsibility of providing the right amount and the right kind of...
- Can dogs eat carrots?
Dogs are primarily carnivores. However, vegetables and plant matter have been a part of the dog's diet during its entire evolution. When dogs eat their prey, they would taste the plants and vegetables in the prey's stomach. Overtime, dogs have...
A study conducted by Japanese scientists has proven that a kind of mushroom has blood sugar lowering capabilities for diabetic animals. Mushrooms are packed with antioxidants that boost the cells’ abilities to fight viruses and infections. Mushrooms are good sources of the B vitamins – riboflavin and niacin. Mushrooms also have the essential selenium and potassium minerals. Mushrooms are commonly used as ingredients or garnishing in western cuisine. For centuries, this fungus has been used in Asian countries for its medicinal capabilities.
Not all mushrooms can be safely eaten both by humans and animals. Although there are only a few deadly species, identifying the toxic ones would be very difficult. Amanita phalloides, commonly known as death cap mushrooms are the most toxic mushroom. This mushroom specie accounts for a large percentage of mushroom poisoning in dogs.
Dogs have the tendency to wander. These four legged friends would be in their element if allowed by the owners to explore wooded areas. Dogs are known to eat anything. When dogs eat grass, poisonous mushrooms can be ingested as well. Colorful mushrooms may entice the dog to investigate. These situations would result to poisoning. Poisoning would depend on the kind of mushroom ingested. Some mushroom species would cause mild gastrointestinal irritation while others would cause severe damage to the vital organs. Organ failure will lead to the death of the pet.
Signs of Mushroom Poisoning
Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pains are the common symptoms of mushroom poisoning. Dogs with severe cases of poisoning will be lethargic and would have uncoordinated movements. The yellowing of the eyes and mucus membranes are signs that the liver is already affected by the toxin. Alarming seizures may eventually end up with the dog going into a coma. This situation can result to the death of the pet.
Administering the right treatment would be much easier if the dog was caught in the act of eating mushrooms or bits of mushrooms were seen in the dog’s mouth. If the dog is already showing signs of poisoning, a definitive clue would be the bits mushrooms vomited by the dog. Removing the poison from the dog’s body would be of paramount importance. Activated charcoal will be administered to prevent the toxin from spreading. Hydrogen peroxide or syrup of ipecac will be used to induce the pet to vomit.
- Can dogs have Benadryl?
Just like the human family, dogs can have allergies too. These wonderful furry friends can suffer from a wide variety of allergies. Allergens will trigger the overreaction of the immune system. Localized or generalized skin irritations are the most..
- What to do if your dog is pregnant
The dog is pregnant! Cute fur balls are growing inside the pooch’s womb. In about two months, you will witness the miracle of birth. You may have intentionally bred your dog or the dog may have managed to open the backdoor one night and had a date...
Dog meets mushroom
Dog Dies after Eating Poisonous Mushroom
More by this Author
Summer is just around the corner. Along with the long hot days, what comes to mind would be long tall glasses of ice cold drinks and sweet and juicy fruits galore. These are the refreshing treats of...
Cheddar, Parmesan, Mozzarella, hard cheese, soft cheese... a cheese lover would know about the different kinds of cheeses. If you are a cheese lover and you have a dog there is a good chance that your pet loves cheese...
Liquid fertilizer made using seaweed can be very beneficial to your garden. This hub will teach you about what it is, how to make it and give you some good tips on using seaweed as a fertilizer.
No comments yet.