During This Difficult Economy -- Dog Owners Willing to Sacrifice for Pet's Welfare
Many Pet Owners Willing to Sacrifice Luxuries
We love our dogs! That is proven by the survey just released by the American Kennel Club (AKC). During this difficult economy, many pet owners would gladly give up certain luxuries in order to provide for the needs of our canine companions.
The AKC polled more than 1,000 people regarding what items they would be willing to give up or cut back on for their dogs. Here are some of the findings. . .see if you would do the same.
- More than 96% would eliminate gourmet coffee to save on their dogs' expenses.
- 97% said they would give up massages or spa treatments in order to afford a veterinarian bill.
- Nearly 79% said they would cancel a teeth-whitening appointment in order to have their dog's annual teeth cleaning.
- Of the respondents, 69% said they would cut back on gifts for their friends or extended family before skimping on gifts for their dogs. Even 9% said they would scale back on gift for their spouses before cutting back on gifts for their dogs.
The only item that dogs owners would be reluctant to give up was their internet access accounts. Another good trend was that PetPartners, provider of AKC Pet Healthcare Plan, reported that sales are holding up and pet owners are renewing their policies and consistently high numbers. Perhaps pet owners view insurance a way to manage their pets' health care costs.
Other survey results found:
- 52% said they would look for sales and/or clip coupons before shopping for pet products
- 48% are purchasing fewer toys/treats and other nonessential dog supplies.
- 24% have begun buying dog food in bulk.
Giving Up Like for Like
- 67% would canel their travel plans if they could not afford to pay boarding fees for their dogs.
- 65% would regularly eat ramon noodles before they would skimp on their dogs' high-quality food.
- 59% would perm or color their own hair to keep their dogs' appointment at the groomers.
Cutback Owners are WIlling to Make to Ensure the Basic Welfare of Their Dogs
- 97% of those polled said they are willing to eat more meals at home.
- 72% would cancel their gym membership.
- 50% would cancel cable or satellite service.
- 94% would curb spending on new clothes.
- 89% would push back plans for home remodeling.
- 88% would forgo buying a new car or buy a less-expensive model.
For those of us who love our dogs as part of our family -- these are small sacrifices for our beloved Buddys.
Source: American Kennel Club and Pet Product News International
Debbie Holte is a frequent contributor of articles on our dog's health and happiness for Buddy Beds whose company's mission is to improve the quality of life for our beloved animals.
Remember there are three things to look for in any company you purchase a dog bed - high quality products, products that will last and stand the test of time, and superior customer service.
Other Helpful Dog Links
- American Kennel Club - akc.org
American Kennel Club
- Dogs on About.com - All About Dogs and Puppies
All about dogs - Your resource for dog information, dog health, obedience training, dog breeds and adoption. Get information about dogs, find out if you are ready to get a dog, learn tips for proper dog care, research dog breeds, read the dogs blog,
- Orthopedic Dog Beds: Reasons to purchase a Buddy Bed orthopedic memory dog bed
Orthopedic dog beds for dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, joint issues, or aches & pains of old age. Memory foam eliminates painful pressure points. Awarded the coveted Animal Wellness Seal of Approval. Featured on the Martha Stewart Show (twic
- Dogs - Dog Information, Pictures and Reviews for over 350 Dog Breeds | GreatDogSite.com
Quality information for over 350 types of Dogs. Check out our information on Dogs. Browse our dogs information with great dog site. Guide to Breed Selection for dogs. Find the right Dogs for your family. Wide variety of rare dog breeds & pure dog
More by this Author
10 More Things You Should Not Feed Your Dog - Part2 68% of all American households own a pet. . .and consider them part of the family. All too often we feed our beloved dogs foods that are not healthy for them -- here...
Ten foods you should never feed your dog and why.
We Love Hearing Your Feedback -- Comments Welcome
No comments yet.