An Easy Home Made Dog Treat Recipe That Will Give Your Dog Fresh Breath
Dog treats that reward your dog as well as keep his breath smelling fresh are treats that the whole family benefits from! There is nothing worse than the smell of bad doggie breath. The parsley and fresh mint used as ingredients in this easy dog treat recipe help to keep odor at bay. The ingredients are better for your dog than store bought treats. Your dog will love these fresh and home made treats. The crunchy treat also helps prevent tooth decay in your dog's mouth.
By chewing on hard treats and bones, tartar is reduced from a dog's teeth helping to keep breath fresh and keeping your dog healthy. Gum disease contributes to disease, like heart disease, in dogs at an earlier age so by keeping your dogs teeth clean, you can add to his longevity. Dog bones and treats scrape tartar from teeth, so, rewarding your dog with treats like rawhide chews, bones and these fresh breath cookie treats, will help him to stay healthy. Try alternating treats to keep your dog healthy. Raw vegetables like carrots are a good treat for your dog, too! The crunchy vegetables added to your dog's diet will put added nutritional and antioxident properties into the dog's diet as well as helping to control bad breath.
If controling your dog's diet and crunchy treats do not help reduce bad breath, you can use other safe and effective treatments. Dog breath sprays made with natural grape seed extract help reduce bad doggie breath. These breath sprays are safe and natural. Supplements can be added to a dog's diet, too, to help prevent gum disease and bad pet breath. Try echinacea or calendula in a tincture. Apply these tinctures to dog's gums with a cotton swab to help with your dog's oral health.
Rate These! Woof!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or lard
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh, chopped
- In bowl, stir together whole wheat and all- purpose flours, rolled oats, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl, beat lard or shortening eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in flour mixture, mint and parsley to make soft dough. Divide in half; wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Can store dough in freezer up to 6 months to have for future treats.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/2-inch think. Use 4" bone-shaped cookie cutter, cut out shapes.
- Arrange on prepared pan. Bake in oven set at 325°F oven until golden brown. This takes approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool.
- Store these treats in an air tight container.
Cooking for Your Dog
More for your dog...
- How Chocolate Makes a Dog Sick
Learn about the quantity of chocolate that will make a dog sick and the treatments to cure a chocolate ingested ailment.
- Designer Dog Collars - Haute Couture For Your Dog
Dog collar styles are endless and consumers love them. Fashion designers have jumped on the band wagon and have added their own flair to the doggie fashion industry. Check out the current trends in dog collars and choose a designer collar for your do
- Getting Your Dog Used to a Dog Car Harness
As dog lovers, we want to keep our pets safe. We wear seat belts so why not our dogs. But what if our dog keeps trying to get out of the dog car harness? Instead of trying different brands until you find one he can't get out of, try training him to g
More by this Author
Majolica is a collectible pottery that has its roots in Italy. When purchasing majolica there are marks and other signs to look for when buying. Many different companies produced this popular pottery. Learn what to look...
Melted vintage popcorn plastic decorations are popular from the late 1960's and 1970's. The melted popcorn plastic decorations are very fun and popular to collect. Some melted popcorn plastic figures are more...
The differences between a micro-brewery and a craft brewery are defined here. Craft beer distinguishes itself from other beers in certain ways. It is easy to confuse the two terms and this article cleary separates the...