Foods you should not Feed your Dog

Certain food can be toxic for your dog, and their use in your dog’s diet should be avoided where possible. The list below identifies these foods and explains the possible consequences.

Chocolate is bad for dogs
Chocolate is bad for dogs

Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine, a bitter alkaloid which is poisonous to dogs. Different chocolate products will contain different levels of theobromine, making some safer than others. You should also consider the dogs sensitivity and size.

As little as 50 grams for smaller dogs, and 400 grams for an average sized dog can be enough to cause theobromine poisoning in dogs.

Signs and symptoms of theobromine poisoning includes:

  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Hyper irritability
  • Increased urination

If you notice signs of theobromine poisoning in your dog contact the vet immediately and seek proper treatment.

Onions and Garlic

Onions contain a substance called thiosulphate which dogs cannot properly digest. Thiosulphate causes oxidation of haemoglobin damaging red blood cells. This can ultimately result in hemolytic anemia and even heart failure.

Onions in small doses will probably not result in a problem. Different breeds and sizes of dog will react in different ways. Therefore it is advisable to be careful when cooking anything with a lot of onions, and with leftover pizza and burger etc.

Symptoms of onion toxicity include vomiting, weakness, diahhorea and blood in the urine.

Large amounts of garlic can cause similar toxicity problems in dogs. Garlic contains a smaller amount of thiosulphate so would need to be consumed in greater quantities to cause problems.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure to dogs. The reason behind the health threat posed by grapes and raisins to dogs is not yet known. The estimated toxic dose it thought to be 32 g/kg with Animal Poison Control indicating that as little as 7 grapes can be toxic.

Eating a few grapes should not cause any immediate problem to your dog, but keep a lookout for any symptoms and visit a veterinarian at the first sign of grape or raisin toxicity.

Common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and hyperactive behaviour.

Dog eating
Dog eating

Other foods that dogs should avoid

  • Macademia nuts
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Cat food
  • Alcohol
  • Corn on the cob
  • Avocado
  • Mushrooms
  • Potato peelings
  • Dough
  • Coffee

More by this Author

  • Impaction in Bearded Dragons
    10

    Impaction is when a bearded dragon’s digestive tract has become blocked. It is a very real hazard that is brought about when the beardie has either swallowed something that is too large, or something that it...

  • Basset Hound Puppy – What Equipment Do I Need?
    0

    Thinking of buying a basset hound puppy? Wondering what equipment you need in the house ready for the arrival of your new pet. This article will identify the 10 items you cannot be without to welcome home and care for a...

  • Brock Lesnar Nutrition and Workouts
    2

    Brock Lesnar is a phenomenon of a man and an athlete. Brock Lesnar weighs a lean 265 lbs and yet possesses extreme speed, agility and athleticism. How a man carrying so much muscle mass can maintain such high levels of...


2 comments

Nell Rose profile image

Nell Rose 6 years ago from England

Hi, very good info here, especially for someone who has recently bought a dog for the first time, nice one, cheers nell


almurray profile image

almurray 6 years ago from Ipswich, United Kingdom Author

Thanks Nell

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working