Beyond Muffy: Unique Cat Names List for Female and Male Cats
Funny Cat Names for Unique Boy and Girl Cats
Tired of Fluffy and Muffy? Ready to explore the hardcore world of real names for real cats? These funny, creative cat name ideas for male and female cats can help you replace the traditional, overused feline names like "Puffball" and "Mouser" with unique ideas like "The Feistmeister."
No self-respecting cat owner would dare name a feline Muffy, Fluffy, Cuddles, Biddles, Wiggly-poo, or indeed any name from the Cutesy School of Cat Naming these days. Pouncer and Mouser, while seemingly inoffensive, will tend to put a certain amount of career pressure on your pet. And frankly, though there's nothing objectionable per se in naming a cat after a famous celebrity, people who'd name their cat Felix, Garfield or Heathcliff should be ashamed of themselves for setting up their beloved pets for almost guaranteed inferiority complexes.
These days, the best cat names reflect the funny, unique personalities of the creatures - with a soupcon of their owners' personality thrown in. Here are some unique ideas for cat names that will yield no regret.
Funny Cat Names for Boy or Girl Cats
Unique Gender Neutral Cat Names
- Everest: This name is perfect for cats that climb, or sleep a lot.
- Feistmeister: This name, sporting collegiate flair, is a derivative of the word "feisty."
- Taffy: This cat name is ideal for cat owners with hidden cutesy impulses; Taffy, of course, stands for Totally Affectionate Kitty.
- Number One Scratcher: This is less a cat name than it is a way to humorously apologize to your guests for the state of your furniture.
- Mo Kat: Fits fat cats just fine.
- Manicatti: For highly energetic cats who also like pasta.
- Laziboy or Lazigirl: The aforementioned names are only free of trademark liability if you exclusively call the cat "Zee" during public appearances. (Doing so also protects you from cat-originated slander actions.)
Of the funny ideas for boy cat names below, which would you be proud to call your cat?See results without voting
Funny Cat Names for Male Feline Persons
Unique Male Cat Names
- He Who Howls As a Jungle Monkey: All right, so it's a bit long. For usability's sake, you may want to use the nickname version, "Howl."
- Quarterback: This name is evocative of a male cat's extreme agility and poise, and thus his (hypothetical) ability to balance a quarter on his back.
- Stud Boy: You might regret this one, for reasons that hopefully need not be outlined here.
- Gilligan: Gilligan is the ideal cat name for a goofy male cat that tries to be a lion, but isn't.
- Sprout: Just a a good ol' boy kinda cat name, really.
- Alfred, George, William, or Robert: Slightly boring, but, nobody will ever mistake him for a girl, now, will they?
Which is Your Favorite Female Cat Name?
What unique female cat name below would you most want to bestow upon a girl cat?See results without voting
Funny Cat Names for Girl Cats
Unique Cat Chick Names
- Kitty Boop: This adaptation of the Betty Boop cartoon character is perfect for a flirtatious feline.
- Gor May: This name is suited to female cats who only tolerate the finest culinary fare.
- Heels: "Heels" is both a subtle, ironic comment on the will-not-heel-in-a-thousand-years nature of cats and, if that doesn't work for you, a tribute to your pet's extraordinary grace on those tiny little cat feet.
- Alto Soprano: This name is for female cats whose range varies from deep alto purrs to strident soprano meows.
- Chick: A trendy choice, only a totally hip feline dudette can carry it off with savoire faire.
- Claudette: Okay, this one's not so much funny as it is a unique name for an extremely pretty lady cat, after the beautiful cat-faced actress Claudette Colbert.
Whatever cat name you choose, pick one that rolls off the tongue easily at that critical moment when you discover that your feline has rubbed his fur all over the evening outfit you were planning to wear, and pleasant to whisper when you're spending an evening of therapeutic fur-stroking. And honestly, whatever cat name you pick, in the privacy of your own home, who's to know if you call your baby Cuddles? As long as you feed her well, she won't tell....
More by this Author
Traditional Japanese shikibuton mattresses are not Western futons. Pros and cons plus care tips of "shiki futon" sleeping cushions as minimalist bedding. Find twin, full and queen size shikibutons.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE194
The best shoes for plantar fasciitis offer good arch support and motion control for your foot. I've compiled recommendations for running shoes, dress shoes and walking shoes that can help with heel pain and a torn or...
Running shoes can hurt, or help, people who excessively supinate. Here's a list of what to look for, what to avoid, and models popular with sufferers of underpronation or high arches.