Gifts for Horse Lovers
riding lessons and other horsey gifts
Got a little girl on your gift list who loves horses? If she doesn't have her own horse or pony, riding lessons are the perfect gift. What about an adult who owns a horse? If so, use this to your advantage when shopping for a birthday or Christmas gift. Horse lovers and horse owners are always searching for items that depict horses or that they can use in the care of their equines. Search online for great items, or visit your local feed and tack store. Be sure to compare prices - there's a big markup at many tack stores. I've found the best prices and the biggest selections online.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
* A grooming kit. This is a great gift for any horse owner. They probably already have one, but brushes wear out quickly and have to be replaced.
* A lead rope and matching halter. You can never have too many lead ropes. Also, halters are often lost when the horse rubs his head against a fence post. I don't know how many hours I've spent searching the pasture for lost halters!
* Find out what breed of horse your pal owns or is interested in, and find a breed-specific item online. These include tee shirts, coffee mugs, mouse pads, coaster sets, handbags, and calendars.
* A book offering training tips will be much appreciated by any horse aficionado. A book about different breeds and their history would also be a good choice.
* A throw or blanket depicting horses.
* A silver horse charm for a necklace or bracelet. You can also find horse earrings.
* A big jar of horse treats.
* Gloves. These don't need to be riding gloves - just regular work gloves will do. Horsemen spend a lot of time handling hay and hauling feed and water. The gloves will come in handy to protect hands from the cold, too.
* A gift certificate to a feed store or a tack shop.
* A model of a horse. Breyer's has some nice ones, including ones for specific breeds.
* A framed photo or poster of your friend's horse.
* Horse movies. Find some DVDs about horses, like Seabiscuit, The Horse Whisperer, International Velvet, National Velvet, Running Free, The Long Shot, The Princess Stallion, and The Silver Stallion. Amazon has some great titles, or check the bins at Walmart.
* If your horse lover doesn't have her own horse, you could give her (or him) riding lessons or a weekend trip to a guest ranch.
Be sure to view the great gifts for horse lovers below:
To read more about horse, ponies, and training tips, click the article links below the Amazon products.
Get more holiday ideas:
- How to Make Real Old-Fashioned Southern Cornbread Dressing: Step by Step
This is an old recipe for real Southern cornbread dressing the kind my mother and grandmother always made at Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you're searching for a low-calorie or low-fat recipe, THIS...
- Easy Christmas Crafts: Salt Dough Ornaments
Have you ever thought about making your own Christmas ornaments? Salt dough is a wonderful medium for ornaments that requires no special skills and little expense. In fact, you most likely have the...
- Hottest Toys for Christmas 2009: Girls 4-12
Got a girl on your Christmas list between the ages of four and twelve? If so, have you thought about what you'll get the little princess? As usual, many of the most popular toys for Christmas this year will...
- Hottest Toys for Christmas 2009: Toddlers
If you need to buy for a toddler or two this Christmas, chances are you're scratching your head, wondering what in heck to get the little tikes. If you're not around the curtain climbers a lot, how would...
- Hottest Toys for Christmas 2009: Boys 4-12
Started your Christmas shopping yet? If you have a boy on your list between the ages of four and twelve, you'd better get busy! There are several hot items for this Christmas that are sure to sell out...
Read more about horses and ponies:
- World's Smallest Horse - At Just Six Pounds! See the Video!
A new world record might very well have been born this past Friday, April 23, 2010 the tiniest horse. Einstein, a miniature horse, weighed in at just 6 pounds. That's smaller than most human...
- The Best Horse for Trail Riding
Ive owned, bred, and worked with several breeds of saddle horses. These include the American Quarter Horse, the Appaloosa, the Tennessee Walking Horse, the Arabian, the Thoroughbred, the Paint, the...
- Great Horse Movies
I think I was born to love horses! When I was a kid, that's all I thought about. Every Christmas and birthday, I asked for horse stuff. Mainly, I asked for my own horse, but this wish was difficult for my...
- Horseback Riding Vacations: An Overview
Experience a cowboy vacation. The remuda. Herd cattle. Learn to rope. Some guest ranches have their own Old West town. There's a horse for just about everybody! Round up strays. Ever dreamed of being a...
- Great Toys for Horses and Ponies
Toys for horses? Yes! Many people don't realize that horses can get very stressed when they get bored. This is especially true of horses that are kept alone or for horses that spend a lot of their time in...
More by this Author
Helpful tips for choosing a horse or pony for a child. Several horse breeds are discussed. Videos included!
This article explains the differences between ponies and miniature horses. Photos included.
Tips for getting your disability claim approved quickly—from someone who's done it. Lots of good feedback and advice from readers, too!