Homemade Dog Food 2 - A Healthy Stew
This recipe was adapted from an original recipe by Halo, to make it slightly simpler and less expensive.
2 1/2 lb. Whole Chicken with Organs
2 Cups Frozen Peas and Carrots
1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Sweet Potato
1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Zucchini
1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Yellow Squash
1/2 Cup Frozen Green Beans
1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Celery
1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
8 oz. Brown Rice
6 oz. Rolled Oats
11-16 Cups Water
- Put all of the ingredients in a 10 quart stainless steel stockpot, ensuring that the water covers all the solids. Bring mixture to a boil then turn down to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Allow mixture to cool, then de-bone chicken and return meat to the pot. Blend all ingredients into a puree. Use or freeze in individual portions within three days.
Approximate Total Daily Portion
10 lb Dog
1 - 1.5 Cups
11 - 20 lb Dog
2 -3 Cups
21 - 40 lb Dog
For each additional 20 lbs, add 2 cups.
- An immersion blender or stick blender works best for pureeing.
- If you are using a blender or food processor, make sure you puree in batches.
- Disposable plastic containers work best for freezing. Most come with the volume listed on the bottom.
- Observe your dog's appetite and check with your vet for accurate feeding amounts.
Books that may interest you
No comments yet.