Homemade Rat Treats
Because rats can eat just about anything and everything that we, humans can, it's fun to create interesting recipes that are both healthy and yummy for your pet rat(s).
You can even put a twist by adding this or that, and making the recipe yummy to your tastes. For example, add a little salsa to the Low fat burritos, and you have yourself a nice low fat lunch or dinner that you can share with your rat(s). Maybe try a chocolate sauce instead of butterscotch, and share some Rattie Rolls with you favorite rat(s).
In any case and situation. Making homemade recipes for you pets can be enjoyable for you and them...
- 1 packet- specialty rice mix, any flavor (chicken works well)
- 1- 16 oz.- can non-fat refried beans
- 1 Cup- low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1- 11 oz. can- corn
- 3 large (6 small) flour tortillas (preferably low or non-fat)
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the package, but without the butter, or margarine.
- While the rice is cooking, place the beans in a small pot and heat.
- When the rice is done, mix with corn.
- Lay out tortillas and divide rice equally among them, placing it along the center of each tortilla.
- Divide refried beans equally among them, putting it on top of rice.
- Divide mozzarella equally and put it on top of beans.
- Fold ends of the tortillas over the mixture, then fold the sizes over to form a packet.
- Turn the burrito over so that the edges of the tortilla are on the bottom.
- Cut a slice out of the center of one of the burritos and serve it to your rat.
- 2 Tbsp.- frozen green peas
- 2 Tbsp.- frozen mixed carrots, cauliflower, and snow peas
- 2 Tbsp.- frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp.- "silken" tofu (optional)
- Fresh spinach (optional)
- Place the frozen vegetables in a microwave-safe bowl and put in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. If they are not thawed, put them back in the microwave for another 10 seconds, and continue to do so until they are warm but not soggy.
- If you are using tofu, add it now.
- Mix so that the tofu makes a "sauce" for the warm veggies.
- Place the mix on fresh spinach.
* Tofu must be stored in an air-tight container and used within two days.
- 1 tsp. overripe banana
- 1/8 tsp. butterscotch flavored sundae topping
- 1/2 tsp. (or more) toasted wheat germ
- all-purpose flour as needed
- Mash the banana, and mix with butterscotch syrup.
- Sprinkle with wheat germ and mix.
- Keep adding wheat germ until the mixture is semi-firm.
- Sprinkle some flour on waxed paper and shape the dough into the shape of a Tootsie Roll.
- Sprinkle with more flour and cut the roll into slices, using flour to keep them from sticking together.
Wrap any left over "cookies" in waxed paper and refrigerate them for up to four days, or freeze them.
Fancy Rat Information
- Homemade Rat Diets
Make a healthy, homemade rat diet for your favorit pet. Find out about proper nutrition. What you can and can't feed your rats.
- Homemade Rat Recipes
Find out more fun and yummy recipes that you can make for your pet rat(s).
- Rat Munchies
Proper treats for you pet rat(s).
- Signs of Illness
Make sure that you are aware of the signs of illness in your pet rat(s).
- Toys for Pet Rats
Find fun games for you and your pet rat(s).
- Housing Pet Rats
Finding the perfect cage is a must for pet rats. Make sure you know what you're looking for in a cage and accessories
- Rats Vs Mice
When deciding upon a pet rodent, make the proper decision between rats and mice. Make sure to know the true differences.
- How to Train Pet Rats
Tips for training your pet rat.
More by this Author
Rats can be easily trained to do simple tasks. You may actually be training your rat already.... You just may not know it. Teaching your rat to come when called- When you go to the cage and either say the rat's name...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE40
There are many diets for rats on the market, but you may want to vary your pet's diet with something homemade.
An awesome-looking tattoo can unfortunately turn into a big infected mess. Read on to learn the symptoms of infection and how to treat it.