How To Chase Lizards Away Without Killing Them
I Have Lizard Phobia
I have a phobia of lizards since I was a small boy. I really hate to see a lizard inside my home. In our tropical country, lizards are everywhere. Here, I mean those pesky and “terrifying” house lizards. It is a never ending battle having to chase lizards out of the house. And it is quite impossible to literally chase them out of the house at once. Most often they will flash away hiding in some narrow space. So, how to chase away lizards without killing them?
Story of my life
This is the story of how I developed this phobia of lizards. When I was a small boy, there was once when I saw a team of ants laboriously moving a dead cockcroach along the wall. My concentration was fixed on the rather interesting acitivity of the ants. Then out of a sudden a big lizard appeared out of nowhere and snapped the cockcroach together with the ants! I had a shock of my life. And from then on, I had this phobia of lizards.
Patience And Persistence
From my personal experience all these years, chasing lizards away without killing them, takes lots of patience and persistence. I use a number of methods at different times depending on the likely locations that the lizards may be hiding. Unless you just ignore the lizards and they become bold, lizards usually do not expose themselves. They are always hiding. When they get the message that they are not welcome guests, they will usually leave the house in due course. Of course, to show them that they are not welcome, one needs to act on it. And the methods I am sharing here will prove effective.
How To Discourage Lizards From Entering The House
There are some basic rules which you must follow. These rules are actually common sense approach. What you need is discipline and persistency.
Rule number one is to keep your house very clean especially the kitchen area. Cleanliness will keep away little pests and insects like ants and other bugs which are favourite food for lizards. There will also be no little bits of food crumbs to attract lizards to enter the house.
Rule number two is not to clutter lots of food containers together. Piles of food containers together will create excellent hiding place for the lizards, and inevitably the smell of food will also be very tempting and welcoming
Rule number three is to ensure your home, especially the kitchen has good ventilation and lighting. Lizards like dark places. The spaces behind wardrobes, cupboards and furniture are favourite hiding places for lizards.
Rule number four is to possibly seal all little cracks and openings along joints and walls, where lizards can squeeze through from outside.
How To Chase Lizards Away
There are many methods which you can find from the internet on how to chase lizards away from your house, without killing them. Many methods are just nonsense or impractical. I shall not be discussing methods like feather, eggshells, pepper spary, coffee powder, tabasco sauce, and cold water treatment, Here, I share with you only five methods which I find them to be most practical and likely to be effective.
- Garlic: Garlic emits such pungent smell that lizards will keep away from the area. From my experience, whole unpeeled garlic is not effective as the smell does not emit out as much as, if they are peeled and sliced. Place freshly sliced garlic pieces around corners of kitchen walls and hidden crevices. You need to replace them once they dry up and lose their pungent odor.
- Onions: Onions work the same way as garlic. Onion slices are equally pungent and will chase away lizards in no time.
- Naphthalene Balls: Another common name for these balls is mothballs. These mothballs are effective repellents of small bugs and insects and also as sanitizers for bad odor. These balls work the same way as garlic and onions because of their pungent smell. These mothballs are more practical and easier to manage than having to constantly replenish cut slices of garlic or onion.
- Electric Repellent: Commercial electric lizard repellent set is clean and practical. It is supposed to emit special ultrasonic frequencies which lizards cannot tolerate, and will eventually keep a distance away from this gadget. Although this seems ideal to me, I have not seen this gadget in my location.
- Insect repellent spray: I personally find this method the most practical and effective. I have not found a special lizard repellent spray, but I am using a general insect repellent spray which I find effective. I spay along the hidden spaces and on the kitchen walls and table tops every night before I go to bed. Apart from the more powerful special insect repellent spray, I also use the standard insect/mosquito spray as a preventive method.
What Happens If All These Methods Failed
Now the inevitable question will be what happens if all these peaceful methods failed to chase away lizards from your house? I am basically a very harmless person. I avoid killing any living beings, be they ants, little beetles, or anything else. But lizards, I have phobia for them. So if I am fighting a losing battle, I will close my eyes, and then try “communicating” and “appealing” to them to please leave my house and go outside to their rightful places. Hopefully, all will end up peacefully and happily.
Well, if you do not share my sentiment, then you know what to do! There are traps, fly glue paper, and even poison available in the market. Or simply roll up a few sheets of newspapers and fasten with rubber bands.
Link To My Other Interesting And Beneficial Articles
If you find this article interesting or beneficial, you may go to my "Profile" page to read my other articles by simply CLICKHERE:
By the way, the copyright to this article is owned by Justin Choo (a.k.a. Good Guy). Please do not “copy and paste”! Thank you.
More by this Author
Yellow-Vented Bulbul Hatchling (A 16-Day Chronicle Of Growth). My close encounter with the growth progress of a hatchling right infront of my doorstep.
Colorful discus fishes never failed to fascinate anyone. Nature's perfection in shapes and colors and varieties. Beautiful photos and videos included.
Treatment and cure for posterior fistula. Avoid surgery. Try this oral method by using ghee and milk. My personal testimony. It worked for me.