Man's Best Friend Vs Food: Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog
pits from peaches or plums
xylitol (sweetener found in gum etc)
These are not in any particular order.
What not to give your best friend...
I asked my Vet, and she was nice enough to tell me some things, and give me a list of other things Dogs cannot have.
Dairy (unless its from the pet store and marked safe for pets)
Why can't dogs eat this stuff?
Cat food: Contains trace amounts of mercury which is a digestive aid for cats, toxic to dogs. high amounts of fat
Grapes, Raisins, Currants: kidney failure. Depending on the size of your dog, 1 grape could kill them
flax: vomiting, diarrhea, fur loss
wheat, corn, soy: Vomiting, diarrhea, fur loss, itching, skin irritations and it there is a strong allergy, anaphylactic shock.
onions, garlic, Chives: destroys red blood cells
tomatoes: Tremors and heart murmurs. tomato plants are extremely poisonous
eggs: Raw, salmonella. Egg whites also have a protein in them called avidin, its keeps the dog from using certain things in its body to process normal functions.
Chocolate, tea, coffee ,caffeine: toxic to the heart and nervous system.
Fat trimmings, table scraps: Pancreatitis, liver and kidney failure, diarrhea, vomiting
Hops: elevated temperature, rapid heart rate, seizures and death
Alcohol: intoxication, coma, and death. I've also seen it cause permanent seizures and tremors in a friend's dog cause he thought it was cute to see his dog drunk.
Macadamia nuts: muscle tremors and/or paralysis, depression, hypothermia
Marijuana: Changes the heart rate and can stop their nervous system from responding
Dairy (unless its from the pet store and marked safe for pets, or lactose free): diarrhea
mushrooms: Liver and kidney damage, vomiting, nausea, immense abdominal pain, shock, death
pits from peaches or plums: causes obstructions and choking.
apple seeds: Are cyanide
sugary foods: Dogs can become diabetic too. And have dental problems
tobacco: Nausea, vomiting, and rapid heart beat, coma and death
yeast: Creates a lot of gas in a dog, and could rupture a digestive organ
xylitol (sweetener found in gum etc): Causes hypoglycemia, weakness, passing out, and in high doses liver failure
Avocado: vomiting and diarrhea
nutmeg: Tremors seizures and death
persimmons seeds: Enteritis and intestinal blockages
potatoes: can cause dry flaky skin, high starch
Salt: Excessive amounts can cause kidney failure
Iron containing human grade supplements: damages the digestive system, destroys liver and kidneys
Dogs are not missing out on what they do not know about. If you do not introduce things like table scraps to them etc, (my dogs know better than to sit in the dinning room when its dinner time) you do not have to worry about these things.
I hope this helps ^_^
More by this Author
Crab chips have nothing to do with crabs, its all about the seasoning. Come see how to make these home made easy 3 step chips!
Thinking about getting a Turtle, or already aquired one? Here is some advice and easy information to figure out how to take care of a turtle.
This article is primarily going over fresh water tank set up, maintainance and basic fish care.