Natural Flea Control For Your Pet
As this world becomes more about supply and demand, quick and easy access, and minimal effort, we find ourselves losing what our ancestors taught us. This is especially true with natural remedies. I, myself, have become more conscious of what goes on my body, and once you look into these chemicals and what they can do to the body, its quite frightening that they are actually legal! One place to start is what is supposed to be an aid for health care such as; vitamins, cold medicine, prescriptions, pain relievers, ect.
If you find yourself worrying about your pets health, yet do not want to compromise your house to fleas, you've come to the right place! Now, first let me state that some breeds of dogs and even cats have natural oils in their skin which fight off fleas and other insects. Through breeding, however, their natural defense has been depleted. Some animals, however, do still have this oil and DO NOT NEED anything! One of my cats does not need anything at all and he never gets fleas. Get this! - He was a stray cat living on my mothers porch for over a year, flea free, before we took him in! I do still, however give him baths in lavender baby shampoo to keep him clean as he does go outside with me during the summer months. Why lavender? Allow me to explain...
Lavender, botanical name Lavandula, is a flower naturally found in Europe, and other parts of the world. This flower is commonly used in oil for fragrance and for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender was once commonly used as a disinfectant in hospitals and homes. It is also used as a calming agent to calm babies, children, adults and yes, even animals! I personally use it for anxiety and panic attacks and it works wonders!
Since this flower, in an oil base, has natural disinfectant in it, the scent actually is revolting to certain insects such as fleas, mosquitoes, spiders, and more. All while remaining safe for human and animal use. It is one of the few oils you can apply directly to skin without it causing a rash or other irritation. (USE CAUTION if you have sensitive skin, do not over use it)
How to use as a bug repellent for your pets
- Buy a bottle of organic spiked lavender. (Can be found on Amazon.com) Spiked lavender is stronger and better used for insect repellent as it is less sweet.
- Mix 10 drops to water (about one cup for large dogs, two cups for small dogs/cats) and add to a spray bottle.
- Shake well and let sit for a few minutes, then spray your dog/cat avoiding the face and ears.
- For a stronger repellent, that lasts longer, use the oil alone but only on fur. Do not apply directly to the skin for safety precautions. If your dog is a finicky licker, only apply at shoulder blades where it can not be reached. Only use spray method on cats.
- It also helps to bathe your pet in lavender scented body wash. If you are unable to find one for pets, baby shampoo is fine. I use Johnson and Johnson bedtime bath on my cats. If you do not bathe your dog/cat then don't worry about this and just apply the oil.
Not only will this repel insects from your furry friend, it will also naturally relax them. It works wonders for pets who are frightened or uneasy. Do the same thing as above with the sprayer bottle and spray their beds and your home, particular cloth items such as curtains, blankets, sofas, sheets, and even the carpet. Your home will smell great and you and you pet will feel more relaxed!
More by this Author
Paddle tale newts (Pachytriton labiatus, Pachytriton brevipes) are hardy, unique pets fit for children and amphibian lovers alike. They are commonly confused in pet stores as "Fire-belly Newts" because they...
You are here because you either have a leopard gecko or you are thinking of getting one. I will share how to care for them and helpful information to keep them healthy, happy and a joy to have around.
Headaches & migraines can take away from the quality of life. You don't have to put up with the pain or use pain killers to help reduce & even eliminate them! Here are some home remedies that work!