No matter the breed, all dogs can bite
With all the news articles about large dog breeds biting it makes some question if common sense is really all that common. The American Pit Bull Terrier gets the worst of the news around dog bites and attacks. This isn't because they are more vicious or more prone to biting then other breeds, its because they do more damage in one bite then most other breeds. With all the children and babies that are killed or disfigured by large dogs here are some tips that could prevent any incidents. Most of it, if not all of it, is common sense.
Just because you don't think your dog could harm you or your children doesn't mean that it wont happen. Dogs don't have the ability to tell you that they are a scared, sick or hurt, all they have is their teeth as protection.
Tips for every dog owner
- Train your dog- properly trained dogs are less likely to bite or attack.
- Teach your children how to behave around dogs, both your own pets and strange dogs
- Keep babies and toddlers away from dogs unless you are in control of the dog. Many dogs get jealous or protective around small children
- Never leave a small child or baby in a room with a dog unsupervised. This could prevent the most common mauling
- Don't let your dog run loose no matter what when other people are around
- Outside of your home or property have your dog on a leash, always
- If your dog begins to display aggression, get help from a certified trainer immediately, this could prevent bites, attacks and ultimately your dog being euthanized
- Fencing, dogs are much happier if they are not chained or tied up, so be sure your fence is secure and tall enough so the dog can jump over it
The basics seem pretty easy to remember and follow but many people don't. Following these guidelines could prevent a child's death.
More by this Author
Why buy used when you can buy new for even less? Let me tell you how I do it every day.
Dogsbite.org is a website dedicated to wiping out the entire population of Pit Bulls in the United States. Here are some "Facts" of theirs that don't hold up.