Our Furry Friend The Cat
There are many different types and kinds of cats out there in this big world in which we all share and live in. There are Lions, Tigers, Bobcats, Panthers, and Mountain Lions to name just a few. However this hub is dedicated to the cat specie that is commonly kept as a household pet. I thought I would take this opportunity and explore some of the interesting facts that surround our furry little feline friend. Not everyone is a big fan of the domesticated cat, but for those who are here's 20 interesting facts about our friend the cat that you may or may not have known. Cats have been around for a very long time, and you may just be surprised to hear some of this information.
1. Cats have been bred for thousands of years.
2. The heaviest cat in the world weighed in at more than 46 pounds.
3. Cats really don't have those 9 lives.
4. A cats hearing is more sensitive than a dog's hearing.
5. More than 30% of all households in North America have a pet cat.
6. Félicette was the first cat ever to be sent to space. She was sent by the French space program in October of 1963.
7. A felinologist is a person who studies cats.
8. Cats dislike the smell of citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, and grapefruits.
9. A cat's sense of smell is up to 14 times stronger than a human's.
10. A brain of a cat is more similar to a man's brain than that of a dog's brain.
11. A cat has more bones than a human in their little body.
12. The first true cats came into existence about 12 million years ago.
13. Cats were introduced by the Pilgrims in North America.
14. The life expectancy of a household cat today is at an average of 16 years.
15. Close to ten percent of all of a cat's bones are in its tail, which helps the cat maintain it's balance.
16. The first formal cat show was held in the United States of America in 1895.
17. The household cat has been domesticated for about as half as long as the dog.
18. There are approximately 100 breeds of cat, which include breeds like the revered Siamese cat.
19. Six-toed kittens are so common in Boston and surrounding areas of Massachusetts that experts consider it an established mutation.
20. Cat litter was invented back in 1947 when dried granulated clay was used to sop up grease spills in factories.
After seeing this cute little fellow are you a cat person?See results without voting
More by this Author
The paint never ever seems to dry on these on these old vehicles. They are constantly be painted over and over again. The layers of paint on these 10 cars must be at least 3 inches deep. No one has to worry about any of...
The good old dog has been man's best friend for ages now. With Wonderdog you don't have to worry anymore about running out of dog food, messy water bowls or those stinky do do piles to pick up.
Everyone has heard of the 7 wonders of the world, which includes breath taking views of nature's beauty in marvelous places like the Grand Canyon. Just as nature has done, mankind has also been leaving astonishing works...