Plans for Building Easy Chicken Coops and Henhouses and Filling Them with the Right Chicken Breeds
Making Life Easier for the Chicken Keeper
Do you want to raise chickens so it is relaxing and enjoyable and done easily? Helpful tips and experience save you time and hard work. Years of experience raising hundreds of Heritage and Rare breed chickens has helped us learn quickly, the hard way!
If you want to find the best ways to get started and continue with the hobby, share our time and labour saving resources! Get started building your henhouses and choosing the right breed. Improve the efficiency of your hobby now. We will help save people making the mistakes we have made and keep chicken raising fun!
Build Great Henhouses helps you choose a simple design that's right for your location, chickens and budget.
They are easily built by non-handymen!
Full color step-by-step scale plans
- How to build large premium henhouses that are easy to clean, automatically collects eggs and allows you to maintain up to 50 laying hens
- The 6 critical things you must have before you even think about starting to build a henhouse
- Simple tips on how to set-up your building site and select your materials that will make building quick, easy and affordable.
Click here for Henhouses building info. With more information on getting started
Ready-made chicken coups
For those who want to get started quickly......
There are some gorgeous ready made henhouses available online. Look for
- Waterproof draft-free henhouse designs with good ventilation
- Look for Predator-proof welded wire or hardware cloth runs
- Easy access for filling feed and water and cleaning coop
- Ease of egg collection and access to chickens for treats
- Suitable for your weather extremes, deep snow or desert heat
- Light and easy to move henhouse if portable
- Minimum 6 foot tall entrance for access if permanent henhouses-your back will thank you!
- Good sized easy access nesting boxes, ideally 1 per 4 hens
Start off with the Right Chicken Breed
Your choice depends on likes, preferences and what you want the poultry
for. A suitable breed makes your life easier. Care is straightforward & less expensive if you plan for your
weather extremes too. A slower moving docile breed may need less space than a more active breed.
Some breeds and strains of breeds are friendlier than others, or lay more eggs or put weight on faster. The breeder providing your chickens or chicks or fertile eggs can tell you their strains qualities and what to expect.
What is more important to You when choosing?
- Eggs or Meat or Both?
- Efficient year round or Less production & longer life?
- Green, Blue, Olive, Pink, Tinted, White, Speckly, Light or Chocolate Brown Eggs?
- Fast grown commercial meat or raise your own chicks,?
- Kid-friendly and docile or hard for predators to catch?
- Tolerance to extreme weather or is climate controlled?
- Low maintenance birds or fancy feathered crested?
- Free range foragers or enclosed run?
- What colours do you like?
- Preserve Rare heritage breeds or cheap easy to find hybrids?
- Show your birds at the fair?
Here are the two best websites for anyone looking to choose a breed!
Hendersons Breed Chart
It's a huge table of most of the breeds, easy to compare for cold hardiness, laying egg size, temperament
Has descriptions of breeds but the photos are spectacular-see what a breed looks like in reality
Also the Book is excellent and has helped us a lot. Ask if you have questions. We have had over 35 breeds here and can compare them for you. Storeys Guide to Poultry Breeds
More sites and hubs we have written on chicken care
- Building Great Henhouses
Tips on building henhouses and making life easier for the chicken-keeper.
- 10 Ways to Keep Your Chickens Safe from Predators
- Save your Back and Your Money: Make an Automatic Waterer for your Free Ranging Chickens
- Chicken Finds-Making Life Easier for the Chicken Keeper - Chicken Tips - Making Life Easier for the
A website with tips, info and products to make life easy for the chicken owner. Also has lots of pictures of our Gorgeous Rare Breed Chickens and info and links on choosing the right breed for you!
- Coccidiosis in Chickens-What to do if you have chicks dying with runny, frothy or bloody poops.
- Tips on Buying Fertilised Chickens Eggs for Hatching & How to choose Chicken Incubators
More by this Author
These easy, cheap to build waterers save both your back and time and are easy to clean. Our design is shown and list of materials. Self-filling, they make less work and give the chickens fresh water all day long, find...
Nothing is more upsetting for the family than finding dead or injured chickens attacked by predators. Here is information on protecting your birds while building henhouses and also afterwards how to beef up security,...
If you are choosing a heritage chicken breed, we think these are the 10 best breeds. We chose them based on friendliness, hardiness, beauty and beauty of the eggs.