Portable Dog Water Bottles for People and Pets on the Go
Finding the Right Portable Dog Water Bottle Is Not as Easy as It Seems
Although dozens of portable dog water bottles are available through pet product suppliers, finding the right portable dog water dispenser for you and your pet has its challenges. Brick and mortar pet product stores, large or small, offer only a fraction of the dog water bottle styles available, and thus a shopping trip to your local pet store will show you only a few options. The Internet offers all of the styles available, and although you can find the entire range of portable dog water bottles on the Net, choosing the right search terms to find what you are looking for can be daunting. While you are “window shopping” the many offerings out there, remember that your dog has specific hydration requirements that need to be met when you are hiking, camping, road tripping, working, exercising, eventing, or just taking an evening’s visit to the local dog park. Just as important, you have specific requirements for the effort you put into managing the equipment that meets your dog’s hydration needs. This guide will help you find the right portable dog water dispenser to meet the needs of both you and your dog.
Things to Think About - How Big and How Active Is Your Dog?
A 90-pound dog has hydration requirements that are different from a 20-pound pooch. A dog water bottle with a 20-ounce capacity is a better choice for a 90-pound dog than one with a 10-ounce capacity. If your dog is a serious drinker, and you plan to be away from water for an extended period of time, you may want to use more than one dog water bottle. Alternately, you could put extra water in a larger container and refill the dog water bottle when necessary.
Just as humans, some dogs are more active than others. I was always surprised at the amount of water my daughter's 70-pound dog would drink during play compared to what my 80-pound Goldie would drink. She was older and less active. My daughter's pooch would drain his Gulpy in a few sloppy minutes; my girl would take a dainty lick or two and then head off for the nearest shade tree.
Both the size and the activity level of your dog are important considerations in choosing a portable dog water bottle.
Things To Think About - Plastic or Stainless Steel?
In general, stainless steel should have a longer lifespan than plastic. Most stainless steel dog water bottles are equipped with a rolling ball that dispenses water as your dog uses his tongue to rotate the ball. When shopping for a stainless steel dog water bottle, read the manufacturer's description, care instructions, and warranty carefully. As you would expect, stainless steel bottles are pricier than plastic.
Plastic portable dog water bottles are not only more reasonably priced, they are also lighter in weight. If you plan to ask your dog to carry his own water (and possibly additional provisions as well), give some consideration to the amount of weight that will go into his backpack. If you are planning a three-day hike and carrying all your equipment on your back, you know the weight-saving value of something so seemingly insignificant as stripping the cardboard cylinder out of a roll of toilet tissue. Have the same consideration for your dog.
Things to Think About - Quality and Reliable Retailers
As you take a look at the variety of portable dog water bottles on the market, take the time to carefully read not only product specifications and warranty information, but also customer reviews when they are available. Check out the retailer’s rating and return policy, too. And look at pricing differences and weigh them against shipping charges.
The best place to research and find the right portable dog water bottle for you and your pet is online. Check out these offerings.
Plastic Dog Water Bottle Features To Consider
There's a huge variety of plastic portable dog water bottles on the market. Here are some features you will want to consider when making the right choice for you and your dog.
- Wide mouth for adding ice?
- Carrying strap or belt clip?
- Dishwasher safe?
- Does the bottle rest on the ground or do you have to hold it?
- Capacity? (Mini bottles hold around 10 ounces, standard-sized bottles up to 22 ounces, and canteen styles up to 36 ounces.)
- Can the cap and dish be attached to any standard-sized water bottle?
- Will the bottle fit in a car's cup holder?
- Are materials recyclable and non-toxic?
Canteen Style - A Good Choice for Large Dogs
Canteen style portable dog water dispensers generally hold more water than the bottle styles. Capacities range from 26 to 36 ounces.
These are excellent choices for large thirsty dogs and for road trips where neither you nor your pet will be carrying water while walking.
Stainless Steel Dog Water Bottle Features To Consider
You will want to consider these features as you shop for your stainless steel dog water bottle.
- Carrying strap or belt clip? One may be more comfortable for you than the other.
- Roller ball delivery so that your pet has to lick the cap in order to dispense water? Not all dogs take right away to this kind of delivery system.
- Wide mouth for adding ice?
- Constructed with non-toxic and recyclable materials?
Portable Dog Water Bottles Make Excellent Gifts!
Think about gifting your dog-loving friends and family members with portable dog water bottles. These useful pet accessories come in so many styles, colors, capacities, and prices that you can make a perfect choice for any pet and his person, for any occasion.
Tips for Extending the Life of Your Portable Dog Water Bottle
- Washing: Care for your dog water bottle as you would care for your own. After each use, wash with mild soap in warm water, rinse thoroughly, and let air dry. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning.
- Water temperature while filling: All dog water bottles are designed for room-temperature or cold water filling. Do not be tempted to fill a bottle with boiling water so that it can cool off rather than freeze during a winter hike. Boiling water degrades plastic, possibly releasing toxins, and may damage the seams of a steel bottle.
- Dropping the water bottle: Treat your dog water bottle with caution, as you would the other possessions in your life. A stainless steel bottle can be dented and its seals displaced by dropping on a hard surface. Likewise, a plastic bottle may suffer fracture of one or more of its parts. No manufacturer will guarantee its product against irresponsible use.
- Placing the filled portable dog water bottle in the freezer: You may be tempted to do this, as you prepare for a hot summer hike in the mountains or a day on the beach. You may think that by the time the heat of the day thaws the water in the bottle, your dog will have a cool drink. Don’t do it. Water expands when it freezes and puts pressure on its container. Long before your dog can have that refreshing drink, the dog water bottle may be ruined by the expanding water damaging the mechanical parts of your dog water bottle.
We’ve Come a Long Way, Baby!
Gone are the days of pouring a canteen of water into a Stetson to give a faithful animal companion a refreshing drink after a long hot ride out on the range. Today we have many excellent products to choose from. Use the information in this guide to enjoy your shopping, taking plenty of time to plan for your needs as well as your pet’s.
They no longer may be riding horses, but members of the 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division are still breaking in the Stetsons.
Is Your Dog Afraid of the Portable Dog Water Bottle?
Not all dogs take readily to drinking from an unfamiliar source. If your dog is reluctant to give this water source a try, there are positive training techniques you can use to help him along. See what Whitney05 has to say about encouraging your dog to drink from a portable dog water bottle.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE49
I recently found myself on an adventure into remembering the men I've known whose love of deer hunting framed important aspects of my life. Through them, I learned a bit about deer hunting, but mostly about patience,...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE112
Spiders have an important role in keeping pest populations under control. Here's how you can catch and release spiders to let them do their jobs.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE80
Here is one simple practice to follow to keep your Stella de Oro daylilies and other re-blooming daylilies flowering continuously throughout the growing season.