What to do if your dog eats chocolate
Why do dogs love chocolates?
A lot of dog owners are not aware of the fact that dog and chocolates don’t go together well…that is if the chocolate is ingested by the dog. If you are one of these owners what would you do if you have unknowingly allowed to dog to lap the melted chocolate ice cream or allowed the dog to have a go at the left over Black Forest Cake? Dogs are much similar to humans in that both have the cravings for sweets. Because we love chocolates, our pets somehow have developed a taste for this sweet delicacy too. It would not be uncommon for dog owners to share with the pet whatever they are eating thus chocolate lovers have dogs that are introduced to chocolates.
- What to do if your dog eats chocolate?
Owners may not know that chocolate is one of the worst things for a dog to eat. If this ever happens to you, here is what you do in case your dog accidentally inhales some chocolate.
The Affenpinscher commonly referred to as the Monkey Dog originated in Germany. Affenpinscher in German means "monkey like terrier" and in France, it is known as the "Diablotin Moustachu" translated to mean the mustached little devil.
Why is chocolate poisonous?
The hapless chocolate candy bar can kill the dog because it contains theobromine. This simple chemical compound can not be digested by the dog and once ingested would have a dreadful effect on the cardiovascular system and the nervous system of the dog.
The toxicity level of the chocolate
The body weight of the dog, the dog’s sensitivity and the concentration of the chocolate accounts for the toxicity effect. Bakers chocolate and unsweetened chocolate are purer chocolates meaning that they contain a higher concentration of the theobromine. This means that a 20 lbs. dog consuming a 5 ounce milk chocolate would merely have digestive problems as compared to a dog with the same body weight that can die because it has ingested a 5 ounce Bakers chocolate.
Dogs that have ingested small amount of chocolate would show signs of poisoning in a day or two. Diarrhea and vomiting are the usual signs. Immediate treatment is necessary to prevent dehydration. However, dogs that have consumed large amounts of chocolate would show poisoning signs in a matter of hours. Both cases would need medical attention but the latter is an urgent situation. Take your dog to a medical facility at once. This kind of poisoning if not attended to at once could result to the death of the dog. The vet would usually induce vomiting, administer activated charcoal and monitor the signs of toxicity. Chocolate poisoning has no antidote and prevention is certainly better than cure. Keep the chocolates in well covered containers. We love chocolates but for sure we love our dogs more!
Signs of chocolate poisoning
A dog that has ingested sufficient amount of chocolate would vomit and have diarrhea. As the theobromide affects the central nervous system the dog would show agitation, hyperactivity, muscle tremors and restlessness. Abnormal heart activity will also be noticed (slow or fast heart beat). The toxins in the chocolate acts a diuretic that make the dog urinate frequently.
- How to get rid of dog odor?
Dog ownership entails more than making sure that enough food is given to the dog. Once you have decided to have a pet dog it means that you are ready to provide for the dog’ exercise needs as well as ready...
- Why do dogs lift their feet when peeing?
Most animals are territorial. They make it a point to mark their territories to let other animals of their kind know that the area was already taken. Bears make scratching marks on trees, the higher the...
Yellow labrador eating chocolate
Another chocolate eating dog
Dog being fed a chocolate treat
More by this Author
Dogs often vomit as a result of their eating habits, but repeated vomiting may have more serious causes and need veterinary attention.
Dogs are probably the most loving pet anyone can have. These four legged friends provide loving and loyal companionship. No wonder humans have treated these animals as family members. The responsibility of a dog owner...
Dogs are very agile and graceful animals. The nimble and lithe movements of a dog being paraded in a show ring would never fail to draw out a lot of oohs and aahs from the spectators. Different folks, different...