Where is the Geico Gecko from?
Is the Geico Gecko from England?
Where does the Geico Gecko come from?
You’ve heard of the Global Warming debate, the Tea Party conundrum and even whether the Jets really are the best football team in the NFL, but there’s one question that is boggling some of the greatest minds of today…..
Just exactly where does the Geico Gecko come from? There are obvious links to an English Cockney accent, although some of his colleagues are sure he comes from Australia – but no one seems to know exactly where he originates!
Where are Geckos generally found?
Geckos are found all over the world in warmer climates. You can find them in Greece, India, Australia, Arizona, Africa and many other places – while not indigenous to the UK, there are many people that have pet Geckos.
Can the Gecko be English?
The Geico Gecko probably wasn’t born in England, but there’s a possibility that it could have been born in an ex British colony such as India and then transported back to England when the family returned home – it does seem more likely that Australia is the place of origin though, and the fact that he has a more cockney sounding accent remains a slight mystery – perhaps an ex-pat who now lives in Sydney brought up the cute cockney sounding lizard.
What do I think?
Being a Brit in the USA I’d love to think that the Gecko is from England, however having seen Hugh Laurie, a true blood Englishman, playing House, with a perfect American accent I begin to wonder if they go to the same ‘accent altering’ school – at the end of the day the Gecko from Geico is an entertainer, and obviously a superior actor, therefore I’m beginning to think that he’s actually a humble gecko from Tucson Arizona whose had plenty of acting experience and has adapted his accent to make him more successful!
Gecko fun facts:
- A gecko has microscopic hairs on their toes and this allows them to run up walls and across ceilings – one wonders if today’s modern spies attach a Gecko to each foot to allow them to climb into secure buildings?
- Geckos lay two eggs every six weeks – and it takes about 45-60 weeks to hatch – so our Geico Gecko could be father to hundreds of little Geicos! Hence the fact he needs such a high paying media job!
- Geckos, being small lizards, grow to be 4-6 inches long- one wonders how much car insurance is for our Geico Gecko?
- There are 800 different kinds of geckos – this makes it very difficult to really find out where our Gecko is from – he might simply be a great actor and be putting on a fake accent!
- Most geckos are nocturnal – they love to go after bugs at night!
- Geckos can clean their eyes with their tongues – no need for windscreen wipers then!
- Geckos are considered lucky in Hawaii!
- Geico Gecko Halloween costume
If you watch television there are two characters that stand out in TV commercials. One is the Progressive Girl flo. The other, perhaps more famous character, is of course the Geico Gecko. With Halloween...
- Animal Planet :: Reptile Guide :: Iguanas & Other Lizards
Learn about choosing and caring for reptiles with Animal Planet's Reptile Guide.
- Gecko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
More by this Author
Having problems naming your black cat? Take a look at some ideas on how to find black cat names and see my personal top 100 names.
Picking an name for an orange cat isn't easy - hopefully this article will give you some good ideas.
Microsoft Excel has become the standard spreadsheet for most business use, but with it's functionality and ease of use the advantages of Excel can be used at home as well.