Why You Shouldn't Feed Your Dog Leftovers
It seems most dog owners allow their dogs to eat the scraps from their own plates as a meal. Yes it might cut down on the cost of dog food, but it isn't very good for your pet. Most people have heard that dogs shouldn't have chocolate (it acts as a stimulant to dogs, making them extremely hyper but also speeding their heart rate up to a dangerous level), but there are several other foods that dogs should eat either. Unfortunately some of these foods are frequently in human foods. If you feed your dog leftovers from your own meal, please be extra careful.
We can start with the beverages a dog can't have because that list is smaller. Caffeine is a stimulant like chocolate and speed up your dog's heart rate to dangerous levels. Dogs are not capable of handling even small amounts of alcoholic beverages and even a little bit can cause problems and possibly death. While it might be funny to a college kid to watch their dog stumble into things, it isn't funny at all and can do permanent damage.
There are several fruits that dogs can't have including avocados, grapes, raisins, and fruits with pits - but not all for the same reason. The pits of fruits have been known to contain trace amounts of cyanide, which can be fatal for a small animal like a dog. Also a dog could choke on a pit, or if he can swallow it, it could become lodged in his intestine. Grapes and raisins cause problems for a dog's digestive system. Avocados are toxic to many animals and can cause damage to a dog's organs.
Garlic and onion (even onion powder) contain sulfoxides and disulfides that damage a dog's red blood cells and can cause anemia. Yeast dough can cause problems in a dog as well. If a dog swallows dough it can then rise in their stomach - causing discomfort and possibly even rupturing the stomach of intestines. Macadamia nuts can also cause digestive problems. Mushrooms can also be toxic for dogs.
Dogs really like meat, but too much fat is not good for them. There is also the risk of bones. Bones can cut a dog's insides or become lodged on the way through. I once had a dog that ate an entire chicken carcass out of our garbage (it was covered even). The vet bills were astronomical and our dog really suffered. Not fun!
While you might not actively feed your dog leftovers or table scraps, if you have an indoor pet (and if you have children, since they like to feed pets) then you need to be extra careful about what is left out. I think all pet owners want the best for their pet and I bet that most owners don't want to spend unnecessary time or money on a sick dog. So take my advice and make sure that your dog doesn't get any foods that would harm him.
More by this Author
We live during a time when we can get exactly what we want, when we want it. With the ability to ship goods throughout the world, most countries have access to fruits and vegetables that they would not have otherwise....
One of the best ways to be frugal in the kitchen is to make your own foods. Don't use all of the prepackaged products available all over the grocery store. Just walking down the baking aisle will show you dozens of...
I recently had a very serious nail infection and I am hoping that my experience will help other people. What started as a fun weekend at a local water park ended in two surgeries and a hospital stay. Nail infections,...