Why can’t dogs eat grapes?
Ten dogs were rushed to an animal clinic because of food poisoning. Three were put to sleep because they have been non-responsive to treatments. Two died. The other five survived because of aggressive medical procedures. The toxic culprit? The innocuous looking bunch of grapes! Not very many dog owners know that grapes as well as raisins when consumed in large amount can have potentially dangerous effects on the life of the pet.
The red, green and black sweet grapes are jam packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. What makes these little gems more desirable is the fact they are low in calories. A weight watcher can enjoy bunch after bunch of grapes to reap the healthful benefits without worrying about gaining unwanted inches. These small harmless looking fruits however, can have dangerous effects on our four legged canine friends. Studies have been conducted on these fruits but until now it was not verified why dogs should not be allowed to eat grapes.
- Why can't dogs eat grapes?
It would always be hard to resist giving the beloved pooch treats. Pet owners are known to share whatever they eat with the pet. Why not? If this food is good for me it must be good for my doggie as well.
- Sarah's Dogs
Great resource for knowledge on dog breeds and behaviour questions.
Why can’t I feed my dog grapes?
Grapes are perfectly safe for humans. Why is this fruit poisonous to dogs? Can it be due to the fertilizers and pesticides? Are the dogs poisoned because they swallow the fruit unpeeled? What is more perplexing with this fruit is the fact that some dogs seem to be unaffected by the toxin. Dog owners and dog trainers often use grapes and raisins as treats when training the dog. Additionally, it was observed that consumption of large quantities of grapes is lethal. Some dogs would be affected by ingesting a handful of grapes and raisins while some dog will not be affected at all.
Grape toxicity symptoms
Behavioral change can be seen instantly once the dog has ingested large quantities of grapes. The dog will be highly agitated and become hyperactive. This will be followed by depression and lethargy. The dog will vomit and have diarrhea. The feces and the vomitus will contain partially digested grapes or raisins. It will be apparent that the dog is experiencing abdominal pains. The dog will be dehydrated. Because the dog’s system can no longer filter the toxins, the dog will not be able to pass urine. When left untreated the dog have kidney failure. This will result to the death of the dog.
The best cure for grape toxicity would be prevention. Do not give and allow your dog to get hold of grapes and raisins. If you noticed that the dog has consumed large or even small quantities of grapes and raisins, you better rush the pet to a veterinary facility. Aggressive treatments such as stomach pumping and inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal and intravenous fluids will be done to save the life of the pet.
- What to do if your dog is choking?
Dogs are lovable creatures. These energetic animals are well loved and considered to be important members of the family. In spite of the fact that dogs would at times show annoying and disconcerting habits...
- What to do if you hit a dog with your car?
Dog lover or not you would not want to hit a dog with your car. However, accidents happen. One moment you are driving and humming softly in tune with the song being played in the car radio when suddenly a dog...
Toxic Dog Foods
Fruit and Veg Poisoning in Dogs
Dog First Aid : How to Make a Dog Vomit
More by this Author
Dogs are very agile and graceful animals. The nimble and lithe movements of a dog being paraded in a show ring would never fail to draw out a lot of oohs and aahs from the spectators. Different folks, different...
Humans and many other mammals breathe through their noses. But we humans breathe through our mouths as well. Surely you have used your mouth to breathe when you have a cold and your nose is clogged. The same thing is...
Dogs often vomit as a result of their eating habits, but repeated vomiting may have more serious causes and need veterinary attention.