Why can’t dogs eat grapes?

Ten dogs were rushed to an animal clinic because of food poisoning. Three were put to sleep because they have been non-responsive to treatments. Two died. The other five survived because of aggressive medical procedures. The toxic culprit? The innocuous looking bunch of grapes! Not very many dog owners know that grapes as well as raisins when consumed in large amount can have potentially dangerous effects on the life of the pet.

The red, green and black sweet grapes are jam packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. What makes these little gems more desirable is the fact they are low in calories. A weight watcher can enjoy bunch after bunch of grapes to reap the healthful benefits without worrying about gaining unwanted inches. These small harmless looking fruits however, can have dangerous effects on our four legged canine friends. Studies have been conducted on these fruits but until now it was not verified why dogs should not be allowed to eat grapes.

Click thumbnail to view full-size
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megahammond/196196234/http://www.flickr.com/photos/globetrotter1937/1600545383/http://www.flickr.com/photos/megahammond/196201862/http://www.flickr.com/photos/zest-pk/923930277/http://www.flickr.com/photos/maionese_paty/3582128380/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megahammond/196196234/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megahammond/196196234/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/globetrotter1937/1600545383/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/globetrotter1937/1600545383/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megahammond/196201862/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megahammond/196201862/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zest-pk/923930277/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zest-pk/923930277/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maionese_paty/3582128380/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maionese_paty/3582128380/

Why can’t I feed my dog grapes?

Grapes are perfectly safe for humans. Why is this fruit poisonous to dogs? Can it be due to the fertilizers and pesticides? Are the dogs poisoned because they swallow the fruit unpeeled? What is more perplexing with this fruit is the fact that some dogs seem to be unaffected by the toxin. Dog owners and dog trainers often use grapes and raisins as treats when training the dog. Additionally, it was observed that consumption of large quantities of grapes is lethal. Some dogs would be affected by ingesting a handful of grapes and raisins while some dog will not be affected at all. 

Grape toxicity symptoms

Behavioral change can be seen instantly once the dog has ingested large quantities of grapes. The dog will be highly agitated and become hyperactive. This will be followed by depression and lethargy. The dog will vomit and have diarrhea. The feces and the vomitus will contain partially digested grapes or raisins. It will be apparent that the dog is experiencing abdominal pains. The dog will be dehydrated. Because the dog’s system can no longer filter the toxins, the dog will not be able to pass urine.  When left untreated the dog have kidney failure. This will result to the death of the dog.

Treatment

The best cure for grape toxicity would be prevention. Do not give and allow your dog to get hold of grapes and raisins. If you noticed that the dog has consumed large or even small quantities of grapes and raisins, you better rush the pet to a veterinary facility. Aggressive treatments such as stomach pumping and inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal and intravenous fluids will be done to save the life of the pet.

Toxic Dog Foods

Fruit and Veg Poisoning in Dogs

Dog First Aid : How to Make a Dog Vomit

More by this Author

  • How do dogs move?
    1

    Dogs are very agile and graceful animals. The nimble and lithe movements of a dog being paraded in a show ring would never fail to draw out a lot of oohs and aahs from the spectators. Different folks, different...

  • How do dogs breathe?
    0

    Humans and many other mammals breathe through their noses. But we humans breathe through our mouths as well. Surely you have used your mouth to breathe when you have a cold and your nose is clogged. The same thing is...

  • What to Do if Your Dog is Throwing Up or Vomiting
    82

    Dogs often vomit as a result of their eating habits, but repeated vomiting may have more serious causes and need veterinary attention.


18 comments

CIndy 6 years ago

wow...this was very interesting...thank you!


jenna znamenak 6 years ago

what if your 10 pound dog ate 2 red grape do i need to rush her to the pet clinic


jackinabox profile image

jackinabox 6 years ago Author

Ingesting a small amount of grapes is usually not a problem. If you observe signs of food poisoning after your dog has eaten grapes - Contact yout vet.


Margarita.... 5 years ago

Do I need to get scared........everytime I make chicken soup, I let my dogs have the broth....it contains leeks, sort of like onion in taste...please advice me...I stop immediately now of course, but, will it have a long temr effect? Thanks.


jackinabox profile image

jackinabox 5 years ago Author

Margarita. No you do not. Just make sure to remove the chicken bones first.


Tristan 5 years ago

What if a 20-30 pound dog ate 10-20 grapes


XDDXDD 5 years ago

I have an Alaskan Malamute, but I am taking care of my friends shih tzu. I know he's small but he's crazy. Anyway, he started throwing up a lot and I think it could be the leaves he's eating from my plant. (some are poisonous)Help!


Schatzie Speaks profile image

Schatzie Speaks 5 years ago from US

it's crazy to think about isn't it? i read dogs have eaten the leftovers of vineyard pressings and even experienced acute renal failure from that!


bye4June profile image

bye4June 5 years ago

That was really interesting and informational. Thanks!


vickiturner profile image

vickiturner 5 years ago

I give my dog the odd grape. It's never done him any harm and I guess one grape isn't going to do much. Interesting article though!


Britluigi 4 years ago

What Happens if a shihtzu maltese eats 5-8 very small grapes?


Pauly D 4 years ago

I feed my dog a bag of grapes once a week, he's doin OK


breannnnnnnna 4 years ago

i can't even begin to even, with a paraket up my ass, and such. then i accidentaly the whole bottle all over the.


Lici 4 years ago

My Cocker Spaniel just ate 15 grapes... after eating 20 two days ago. I am started to et scared.


Seanna 4 years ago

What's activated charcoal where do u get it and what are the effects


jackinabox profile image

jackinabox 4 years ago Author


woffie 4 years ago

i just ate a bunch of grapes....should i try to get my human to take me to vet?


Julia 3 years ago

I have a lab and he just got feed one grape is theat ok?

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working