Would you pierce your dog or cats ear?
Safety vs Style for your pet!
O.K., I know what your thinking, who would possibly pierce their animals ear? You might be surprised as to how many people are doing this around the world. Listed below are some facts and stories of people piercing their cats and dogs ears.
Many people has been dressing their little critters up with cute outfits, sweaters, collars, hair styles, and even painting their nails. Now, people have moved to the next step, "Animal Piercing."
Could it be called the "Bling" for pet owners?
Is this a form of style or animal cruelty?
Did you know there is a Boutique pet store in Bossier City, Louisiana called the "Critter Company" that has been established since 1994. It is well-known for pioneering pet care and $25.00 ear piercings for dogs and the price includes a pair of earrings.
When employees of this establishment was interviewed they made following comments;
- "There was one lady who came in and had a pit bull puppy and she wanted a dog piercing done in only one ear because the dog was a boy. She wanted some "bling" for her dog."
- This company gets quite a few doggie clients who, come in specifically to get their dogs ears pierced.
- "We've gotten a lot of dogs so far,"
- "They're mostly Yorkies and Chihuahuas,"
- When asked if the piercings caused the dogs any pain, they stated the following; Apparently not, though the groomers who do the piercings at Critter Company do use a numbing cream first and according to Lisa: "The dogs don't even whimper."
- Ear piercings are better suited for smaller, indoor dogs rather than bigger, more boisterous dogs.
"It's not feasible for outside dogs who are scratching their ears all the time,"
- When the question was asked,"Is it ethical to pierce a dog's ears?
The statement was, "Young babies have their ears pierced by their parents. Since the babies are unable to talk yet, they are not able to give their consent to having their own ears pierced. It is the same with puppies and dogs too."
- Ear piercing, whether it is your own ears, your baby's ears or your dog's ears, is deemed to be a cosmetic procedure.
- The final statement from this employee of "Critters Company", "Similar to having your dog's nails painted, ear piercings for dogs is more about 'keeping up with Jones'. Current styles and trends in human fashion accessories reflect greatly on pet fashion accessories too."
This info was taken from an interview on petwellbeing blog.
A poll was taken by PetPlace.com and only 3% out of 800 people agreed that it should be allowed by pet owners to pierce their pets ear. 96% did not approve of this behavior, and 2% had no opinion. Please, let me know what your opinion is relating to allowing pet owners to be able to pierce their pets ears....
A company called "Bow Wow Bling" sells dog "earring bling" which is glued onto the dogs ear. These earrings are made from Swarovski Crystallized Elements. You do not have to actually pierce the dogs ear, you glue it on with a pet-safe, non-toxic glue, called 'Bling It On!'
Here is the actual statement this company gives for applying the product; "The glue dries quickly and is quite easy to remove using a few drops of baby oil, or you can leave them to fall off on their own in about three weeks. The Earring Bling earrings are reusable and come in a pack of 4 different colors, Red, Purple, Pink and Diamond."
Also; "Dogs with earrings, whether pierced or glued on, will certainly be the center of attention at all of your holiday parties!"
What do you think?
Magnetic earrings can be purchased to use for dog earrings.
I found an article on from "WILKES-BARRE, PA", posted on Feb. 4, 2010. It stated the following;
" A northeastern Pennsylvania woman who marketed "gothic kittens" with ear and neck piercings over the Internet has been convicted of animal cruelty.
A Luzerne County jury on Wednesday convicted 35-year-old dog groomer Holly Crawford of one misdemeanor count and one summary count of animal cruelty, but acquitted her of two separate counts. She will be sentenced March 31.
Crawford was charged in December 2008 after animal welfare officers took several kittens and a cat from her home. Deputy District Attorney David Pedri told jurors that Crawford inflicted pain upon three black kittens because, he alleged, "she thought it was neat" to sell gothic kittens on the Internet.
Defense attorneys argued that parents allow children to get pierced ears at young ages, and it would be wrong to hold cat owners to a higher standard. " [CBSNEWS.com]"
I hope these facts was interesting and please feel free to express your opinions and thoughts regarding animal piercing.
There is a "The National Dog Tattoo Register - NDTR" which is a service that offers a permanent and visible means of identifying your pet to others. The tattoo is applied within seconds, and requires no anesthetic or sedation.
"Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs." M.Scott
Always, seek counsel from your vet before making these type of decisions for your pet!
Thanks for viewing my HUB!
More by this Author
Did you know about 3 million people suffer from epilepsy! I am one of them...Listed below are some interesting facts some people may not be aware of and should avoid exposure to if you or someone you know suffers from...
In the last quarter of the 18th century, Cherokee Indians made Alabama their homeland. There where many different tribes that resided in Alabama territory & will be mentioned below, however, I am a descendent of the...
Did you know that the black voice twang of country music existed in the early 1900's. Yes, black country singers played "Honky-Tonk" music. Please... Read on, for the interesting history and facts, that the...