Xylitol- Deadly For Dogs
Xylitol- Deadly For Dogs
I was at my friend’s house for the Memorial Day holiday. Her dog, Ashley got in my car and found a pack of Stride gum, left under the front seat. I had no idea it was there. I did however know the dangers it posed. Ashley ate the gum and thankfully left the chewed up packet on the living room carpet. It hadn’t been an hour yet, but we could already see her getting lethargic.
We immediately rushed her to the emergency vet where they put her on glucose and kept track of her liver enzymes. Ashley had to spend the night at the dog hospital being monitored. At a cost of eight hundred dollars trying to save her life wasn't cheap!
It was only because I knew what Xylitol can do to a dog that we were able to avoid a tragedy. Now, I’m telling you. Xylitol is deadly to dogs!!!
Xylitol has been used in other countries as a sugar substitute for years, but has recently caught on in the U.S. Xylitol is used as a sweetener in diabetic foods, chewing gums and mints. It's even sold in packets at the grocery store.
Xylitol is found in minute amounts in many fruits and vegetables. Although dogs can safely eat most fruits and vegetables Xylitol, when used in larger amounts such as in gums and mints can have adverse effects on your pooches blood sugar levels and liver. This is because Xylitol is a sugar alcohol. When ingested by a dog it causes a very rapid drop in blood sugar levels and can raise liver enzymes leading to liver failure.
Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning include loss of coordination, depression, collapse, vomiting and seizures. These symptoms can appear in as little as thirty minutes after ingestion. This chemical acts very fast and it only takes one piece of gum to start the effects. One piece of gum can kill a small dog.
If you suspect your dog has ingested Xylitol get them to the vet's office as soon as possible after ingestion, don’t wait for symptoms. It is important for the vet to start counteracting the effects of the poisoning quickly. With Xylitol poisoning time is the only thing you have on your side.
Remember to keep products with Xylitol out of the reach of your pet. If you have dietary products in your house check the label for Xylitol and do not share diet foods with your pet. Some of the products that include Xylitol are sugar free gum, sugar free mints, sugar free puddings & jello and many sugar free and diet foods. It's best to keep all diet foods oout of reach of your pets.
More by this Author
Pee on the carpet? Wasn't me. My Dog Has A Urinary Tract Infection, Help!!!! Urinary tract infections, or UTI’s are quite common in dogs, but they can be quite dangerous too. Urinary tract infections are often...
I'm writing this article from an Animal Communicator's point of view while there is plenty of clinical information online there is not much information coming from the dog's perspective. Dogs experience emotions much...
Is my dog walker here yet? Start Your Own Dog Walking Business There are over fifty million dogs in the United States. One in four homes has a dog and most of these critters sit home all day while their doggie parents...