Weird, Funny, and Amazing Animal Facts
I Take Requests
If you're looking for funny facts about a particular animal that isn't already listed, leave me a comment and I'll do my best to find some fascinating info!
- If you spray an antiseptic spray on a polar bear, its fur will turn purple.
- All polar bears are left handed.
- A polar bear's fur is clear. It reflects the light, making it appear white.
- A pig's orgasm can last up to 30 minutes.
- Pigs are the only animal that will drink hard liquor voluntarily.
- A pig can run a 7 minute mile.
- Ever wonder what do pigs eat? Pigs are omnivores and eat both meat and plants!
- Over a person's lifetime, they'll eat 8 spiders in their sleep.
- Scorpions can be killed by pouring vinegar over them.
- You are 3 times more likely to be killed by a flying champagne cork than by a bit from a venomous spider.
- Cat urine glows under a black light.
- Some lions mate over 50 times a day
- Cat's jaws cannot move sideways.
- Jaguars are frightened by dogs.
- A 30 feet fall can be survived by most cats.
- In ancient Egypt, killing a cat was a crime punishable by death.
- A giraffe can clean it's ears with its 21 inch tongue.
- In Atlanta, GA, it is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
- One quarter of all the creatures on the planet are beetles.
- An ant always falls over to the right when intoxicated.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- A cockroach is the only animal that could possibly withstand a nuclear war.
- An ant can survive up to 2 days underwater.
- A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.
- Crocodiles swallow stones to help them dive deeper.
- Koalas have fingerprints that are almost identical to ours.
- Koalas are excellent swimmers.
- Despite popular belief, koalas aren't cuddly. Males can be very aggressive and territorial.
- Lobsters have features similar to cockroaches.
- Lobsters have pale blue blood.
- It takes a lobster approximately seven years to grow to be one pound.
- In Alaska, it is illegal to look at a moose from the window of an aircraft. This is to discourage moose poachers.
- Moose have terrible vision, so much so that they'll mate with small vehicles.
- It is possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs.
- Cows can smell scents that are up to six miles away.
- Bulls are not attracted to the color red.
- A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in it's lifetime.
- The turkey was wrongly named after its believed country of origin.
- A woodpecker can peck 20 times per second.
- In Minnesota, it is illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head.
- Hummingbirds are the only bird that can fly backwards.
- Turkeys can reproduce without having sex. It's called parthenogenesis.
- An ostriches eyes are bigger than its brain.
- Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.
- In Milwaukee, residents must keep pet elephants on a leash while walking them on public streets.
- The elephant's memory is legendary, in fact, they have a special ceremony for the return of a long lost member of the herd.
- Besides humans, dolphins are the only other animal who have sex for pleasure.
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
- Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
- The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand which weighs about as much as a dime
- Starfish haven't got brains.
- Eels have two hearts.
- If you leave a goldfish in a dark room for years, it will turn white.
- A goldfish has the memory span of 3 - 5
- A jellyfish is 95% water.
- Most marine fish can survive in a tank of human blood.
- The word "Penguin" means "fat winged" one in Portuguese.
- Penguins have one mate for life. They "sing" to each other to learn their and recognize each others' voices.
- Male Adelie penguins often bring females a gift of a stone to show they would make a good partner.
- The biggest shark is the whale shark, which can grow up to 50 feet.
- Sharks have all the senses we have, (smell, taste, touch, sight, and hearing). They can also sense electricity and vibrations in the water.
- Sharks have no bones, their skeleton is made up of cartilage.
More by this Author
Developed by a veterinarian, Soft Claws are vinyl nail caps that look like a hollow claw and are glued onto your cat's existing claws. They cover the claw tips so no damage occurs when your cat scratches. Soft Claws...
I've been awoken too many nights by the sound of my puppy, Bebe, retching her stomach and throwing up. Not only is this frustrating for both my husband and I, but I'm sure is much worse for her. Anyone who has ever...
With any piercing, it’s good to do your research and know just what you’re getting yourself into. Learn what to expect, septum piercing pain, and how to care for your new piercing.