In the 1990s my brother had a black Lab/St. Bernard mix dog named Bear. My brother lived on the family farm in a house across the field from my parents place where the main farm house and dairy barn were located. Bear had the run of the farm. He would often sleep at either house.
One night Bear slept on my parent's back porch which faced the barn. Along about midnight, he got to carrying on, barking and scratching at the door until someone got up to see what his problem was. He woke up everyone there. It turned out power lines entering the side of the barn were sparking. Bear saved the barn full of cattle. My dad had lost a barn full of cows in 1959 so he always feared fires. Bear became a hero that night. Bear was one of a kind in many aspects. Sadly he choked to death on a bone at six years old. But we never forgot him.