Cat R profile image 65

How do you keep your chicken from eating their eggs?

My spoiled rotten chicken were laying OK, but then I noticed that I didn't get any eggs for a few days. By now we know that they apparently like to eat them as much as we do! They are getting those crushed shells and stuff, so they should have enough calcium! How do I keep them from eating MY breakfast!? With all the spoiling, I deserve some 'love' in return!

DrMark1961 profile image90

DrMark1961 says

• Cat R profile image

Cat R 4 years ago

It's less about the stomach then about the pain to them and disfiguring them. Gonna have to think about it, but I appreciate the advise.

Farmer Rachel profile image98

Rachel Koski (Farmer Rachel) says

• Cat R profile image

Cat R 4 years ago

They were getting crumbles for a while, after growing up on starter. Then I added scratch once again to give them variety; despite then not liking it the first time. Now they reject the crumbles mostly, love the scratch and the calcium stuff.

IDONO profile image82

IDONO says

Jodi Ralston profile image76

Jodi Ralston says

• Cat R profile image

Cat R 4 years ago

I let them out in the morning and check, when I get back from work. I check again in the afternoon when I get up and the kids get home from school. And they check when they let them in.

Can't always check for the 'announcement.

tlmcgaa70 profile image70

tlmcgaa70 says

• Cat R profile image

Cat R 4 years ago

I tried the fake eggs and after a week of them spreading them all over the coop in anger, they figured it out that they can't eat them. I am getting 2+ eggs a day now. Either some of my Oldies are lazy or some may still be eaten.