Essential Oils For Animals
What is Animal Aromatherapy?
The use of aromatherapy on humans have been widely accepted throughout the world. However, the concept of animal aromatherapy is something that is relatively new. But it is slowly gaining attention from pet owners who want only the safest approach in treatment for their pets. In fact, essential oils can be used from your kittens at home to large animals such as cows and horses.
As with humans, it can be used to address health problems and common illnesses that animals go through. But it can have the same emotional effects that humans experience upon exposure to the aromas of these natural oils. Once the molecular substances of the oil penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream, it travels to the brain and produce its corresponding action. Since the brain controls all the functions in the animal's body, your pet will be able to experience immediate and effective relief from the use of aromatherapy.
How is Essential Oil Beneficial for Animals?
If you're undecided yet on whether to use essential oils on your pet, here are some valuable reasons why you should be convinced with animal aromatherapy:
- Essential oils contain several beneficial properties that facilitate in the healing of your pet's condition. Some of the most common properties found in aromatherapy oils are antiseptic, antibacterial, and detoxifying properties.
- On the physical aspect, these essential oil properties prove effective in curing various illnesses as it did with humans.
- From the physical, the effects of essential oils go much deeper such that you can address the emotional issues being faced by your pet animals.
Proper Administration of Oils
To ensure your animal's safety when using essential oils, it is important to take note of proper dosage when administering them. For your own pet's safety, it is best to consult with an expert veterinarian. However, here are some general guidelines that you can follow that will determine the most appropriate dosage of essential oil to use, depending on the size of your animal:
*Small animals: For small cats and dogs, the safe dosage would be 3-5 drops of diluted essential oil. The oil's concentration could be between 80 to 90 percent.
*Large animals: For cattle and horses, the safe dosage ranges between 20 to 30 drops of essential oil, which can either be diluted or used straight from the mixture.
*Larger animals: For large dogs, the safe dosage is between 3-5 drops of essential, which can either be diluted or used straight from the mixture.
How To Apply
Since humans have different compositions than animals, it is therefore important to learn where you can best apply the essential oil when using on your animals to yield effective results. For animals that are not hoofed (dogs and cats), you can use diluted or undiluted essential oil by applying them on their paws. This will ensure faster absorption of the therapeutic properties for immediate relief.
For hoofed animals such as cows and horses, you can massage a few drops onto the flanks or at the back. Other possible areas of application are on the tongue, underneath the upper lip, or on the gums. For most animals, applying essential oil on the ear's auricular points prove beneficial.
Dog Massage : Dog Massage for Pain & Ailments
Suggested Oils for Animals
For those who are new to the concept of animal aromatherapy, deciding on which essential oils best to use on your pet can prove to be a tough challenge. To make it easy for you, below is an outline of some of the essential oils widely known for curing ailments or conditions suffered by animals. Read more to find out what properties they contain that make them ideal for treating animal problems.
Lavender oil is one of the most widely used aromatherapy oils in humans and the same applies with animals. Some of its most useful properties include fungicidal, germicidal, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, and calming properties. Therefore, you can use it to treat parasite problems in your pets and other forms of bacterial infection.
To use lavender oil, you can use it as a topical treatment or shampoo.
This is another useful oil for animals due to the presence of various essential oil properties such as antifungal, bactericidal, and expectorant properties. Hence, the use of eucalyptus oil is highly recommended in curing respiratory ailments or in boosting the animal's immunity against certain diseases.
This is something that every pet owner must constantly have at home since peppermint oil is an efficient oil to use against common condition that pets suffer from. For your pet dogs, you can use it to provide relief against nausea or car sickness. Simply apply a few drops of the peppermint oil on the dog's sleeping area or pillows so they could slowly sniff into it during sleep. The properties from the oil will penetrate their system to combat the conditions stated above. It is also an ideal essential oil to use as natural pain reliever.
Dog Massage : Dog Massage for Stress & Anxiety
When using essential oils to treat your pets or animals at home, here are some safety guidelines to consider to avoid harming them and get the best results:
- If you are treating large animals for conditions such as bone injury, bacterial infection, or arthritis, you can use the same method of application and dosage as recommended for humans.
- When treating open wounds with essential oils, it is best to transfer the oil in a spray container and spray it against the area of the wound directly. Then, cover the wound with an ointment that would keep it sealed and free of other foreign substances that could increase infection.
- For younger animals, be very wary when using essential oils. Consult with a veterinarian first before proceeding to ensure that it is safe to do so.
- On the other hand, avoid using essential oils on pregnant animals since it can induce labor or lead to miscarriage.
- Be careful not to get the oils into the animal's eyes as it can lead to irritation.
- Since each animal is different, you need to approach essential oil treatment differently. After using essential oil on them, observe how they respond to the treatment before proceeding onto adding dosage or using another form of medicine since it could result to contraindication.
- Taruna Oils - The Taruna Oils Organization
Taruna Oils offers therapeutic grade aromatherapy and essential oils for mind, body and spirit. These oils are life enhancing gifts from nature
Aromatherapy DVDs on Amazon
Aromatherapy Books on Amazon
More by this Author
Vaporizing essential oils is a convenient and effective way to experience its relaxing and healing properties. Therefore, air fresheners made out of essential oil ingredients is becoming far more common than ever. If...
Buying essential oils from leading health shops can be quite expensive. Hence, there has been a growing number of individuals who decide to make these oils at home instead. There are several types of
Because of the bacteria that forms upon perspiration, bad odor is possibly emitted. Although this is one factor, it is not the sole reason. Body odor is caused by the presence of bacteria that thrive on your body during...
No comments yet.