jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Stinky dog breath

1. GiblinGirl profile image85
    GiblinGirlposted 4 years ago

My dog gets really stinky dog breath and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy that.  I've tried using a dental spray and giving her the Denta-sticks but neither really seems to work that well.

2. Keanku profile image75
    Keankuposted 4 years ago

My suggestions:

A trip to the vet is a great idea to rule out any dental problems or infections that might be causing the stink. After that:

My grooming clients have had quite a bit of luck with the Tropiclean Fresh Breath products (even the water additive seems to work wonders; they keep coming back for more!) 

Also, my receptionist has started using Angel's Eyes for her poodles' tear stains and said since she started that she has noticed a dramatic difference in their breath.

I hope those are a couple of new ideas for you to try. You should update us later after you've tried some things and let us know your experiences!  (Or write a hub about it, yeah?)  smile

GiblinGirlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey - thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm really curious about the water additive. I'll definitely be giving these suggestions a try.

2. GiblinGirl profile image85

So yesterday I got some of that TropiClean water additive and I think it may actually help.  Today when I got close to her I could still smell some stinkiness but it wasn't nearly as bad.

3. everythingdazzles profile image83
    everythingdazzlesposted 4 years ago

Sadly my boyfriends dog had to get a tooth removed. Tried everything, but here the real cause was a decayed tooth in the back of his mouth. Hope your pup only needs a simple remedy.

That's awful.  Fortunately my vet said her teeth look pretty good.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Maybe ask your vet if a change in dog food would help?  A former neighbor adopted a sweet, loving dog that smelled awful (breath, fur, you name it). She started feeding her a different brand (I think she switched from canned to dry), and the difference was huge.

I hadn't thought about trying a different brand. Next time I'm at the vet I will remember to ask.  Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Dreamhowl profile image94
    Dreamhowlposted 4 years ago

There are multiple products geared toward teeth and breath. Have you tried brushing you dog's teeth? Don't feel bad if you can't - my stepmom's dog won't let her at all, and she has tried different things. They have liquid that you can add to your dog's water - that worked with our older dog a bit in the past. I also saw in my store what looked like bacon bits, but were breath mint bits that are meant to be sprinkled on top of the food. As someone above mentioned, it could be the food as well. Good luck!

6. Barbara Kay profile image85
    Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago

I've heard getting them to eat lettuce helps. My Springer loved the lettuce, but some dogs won't eat it.

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image93
    mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago

If no dental problems are apparent after a vets appointment I would suggest adding fresh parsley to her food. This works really well for both pets and humans (try it after you have eaten garlic, it really does work).

8. GiblinGirl profile image85
    GiblinGirlposted 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

9. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

Thank you for the question asked and for the answers of our HP community. I´ll try the advices given here when Angus starts stinking.