jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do some people have more compassion for animals than for humans?

1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 3 years ago

I sometimes worry about this with myself. I think in my case, I see it as much easier to "save" an animal than it is to save a human. For instance, when I find a starving/abused animal, I can take it home, feed it, and give it a good home. That's not so easy to do with fellow humans. You can't just adopt other people on the spot. Don't get me wrong - I help other humans when I can, but there's not the hands-on, instant feeling of gratification, in most cases. Do you guys understand what I'm saying?

1. Kevin Peter profile image74
      Kevin Peterposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ya, what you sais is very true. Moreover its bettr to trust animals more than human beings. We cannot believe any one completely even after a long time. But its not the case with animals.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I read a research report recently that showed people with high levels of compassion for animals also tends to have above average levels of compassion for people.  I don't think empathy is a limited resource that you "used up" on animals.  But animals can be considerable less demanding recipients of our care.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think that's true. I have a special place in my heart for the helpless and especially vulnerable - children, old people, the handicapped, and animals.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 3 years ago

I do care for both, but let say they are both drowning and you can save only one, which one are you going to save? The other one which is lighter. Really, both If I can smile