jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

What would you do to bring about a long life for your cat?

1. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image85
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 3 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8593594.jpg
    The subject is matter is about cat longevity. Many years ago I have read that the domesticated cat can live up to 32 years. The average cat life span is 18 years.

1. DrMark1961 profile image89
      DrMark1961posted 3 years ago in reply to this

A lot of current research into human longevity shows a relationship between being thin and living a long life. Most cats fed junk food (dry and canned commercial diets) are overfed and obese. They are sick and die young.
      Theophanes raises a good point--cats should be on a raw diet. They should also be kept lean, and have plenty of exercise.

J - R - Fr13m9nposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My two domestic shorthairs and me would like to thank you for sharing your expertise on this vital subject.

2. Theophanes profile image94
    Theophanesposted 3 years ago

Keep them indoors. An outside cat averages a 2 year lifespan... wildlife, cars, access to diseases from other cats... it's not a good thing. Other than that feed them a raw meat diet if you can. Kibble might be convenient but it's not natural or whole and the processing and chemicals added to it can cause a lot of problems... diabetes, UTI's, IBS, you name it. Other than that helpful hints include a large clean environment, another kitty friend (if they'll accept it) and toys to stimulate their minds (it helps prevent senility.) That all being said not all cats are going to last a long time. A lot of this depends on their genes. Some breeds, on average, just live a lot longer than others and the run of the mill mutt cat can be a real toss-up. You might have great luck, or terrible luck, or somewhere in between!

Many thanks for your advice and participation in this forum which includes thanks from my two domestic short hairs. Meow, meow!

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I would argue that cat longevity now is actually due to nutritionally complete commercial diets.  But you can also supplement this with fresh meat.

On average Siamese and other oriental breeds live longest.  I would recommend an annual vet check up and blood test so you can detect and health issues early.

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I agree cats can live a long and healthy life on a commercial diet. My friends' cat lived to 23 eating regular cat chow, although she did develop diabetes later in life. That cat lived indoors/outdoors for many years, and managed to avoid predators. Vet visits are important if a cat is ever injured or sick. I have two cats 14 and 15 years old that are thriving (on a commercial diet of wet and dry cat food), but recently lost two to dogs who are allowed to run loose in the neighborhood.

Thank you for sharing your comments with the responders and readers of this forum.

2. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image85

Thank you for sharing your opinion on this forum.

working