jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Horse wrangling

1. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 8 years ago

I had to help my neighbour with a couple of his horses yesterday.

Australia has had an outbreak of Equine Flu, and thankfully the government are footing the bill to immunize peoples horses (from what I hear they're responsible anyway, as Customs let through two horses with EI).

My neighbour had thirty horses to do. The vet came and gave them the shots as well as microchipping. And while that was happening he also gave them worming paste (a syringe into the mouth which by the way the horses react must taste terrible).

Four missed out on the pasting, so I helped with rounding them up. I ain't no cowboy, having not exactly been raised in the city (spent most of my youth in the bush, but the Blue Mountains ain't nothing like the farm land we're on now) but it was still like jumping in at the deep end.

Two were fine. Well behaved and mature horses who didn't make a fuss. The other two though...

I thought the first misbehaving horse was a handful, he's only young and never been broken in. But after a few stern "words" he got with the program. The other however...

Anyone know what a Shire is? Imagine a Clydesdale (big draft horse), only a little bigger. However while it's mother was a Shire it's father was Pinto.

So we're talking really big (though not as big as a Clydesdale) and an attitude to go with it.

After tying him up to the post to administer the paste, and I'll explain the "post" to you... pretty much two telegraph poles sunk into the ground with another secured to the top, so it's sturdy... it decided it didn't like being tied up and put on a show. And demolished the posts.

Thankfully the ropes held.

Anyone here had experience with horses? Particularly heavy horses? I wouldn't mind reading up more about them. I'm certainly learning a lot from our new found friend (the neighbour). The great thing about him is he says that he doesn't know much. But I'm hearing more than I'm able to absorb. It's the humble ones who have the most to impart.

1. trakker14 profile image59
      trakker14posted 8 years ago in reply to this
  2. trakker14 profile image59
    trakker14posted 8 years ago

I believe the horse you were referring to is a Gypsie Vanner , they are a cross between shire and pinto, their mains and tails get to be magnificent. try this hub or just go to gypsie vanner in search.

3. 0
    emmabalmerposted 8 years ago

Big horses can be intimidating because of their size, but I have found that training my draft horses has been a real pleasure because they are generally more docile than other standard breeds. The worst horses to train, from my experience, are the Mustangs from the Nevada desert. They are incredibly quick and intelligent.

4. Born Again 05 profile image80
    Born Again 05posted 7 years ago

It helps to plan ahead whenever possible when dealing with difficult horses. When the vet was there he/she could give the difficult horse a shot of tranquilzer, allowing time for it to work and then procede with the worming or whatever else you need to do. Ideally, young horses should be handled and gentled while they are still small and easy to manage. If wormed routinely when they are young they will become accustomed to it.