jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

New Puppy

1. 60
    Kats642@gmail.composted 4 months ago

Hi,
    We adopted a dog and all we know is that she is supposedly a little over a year old, 28 lbs and possibly a some sort of collie mix.  She likes to just sit and stare, lays down and then pounces on our 5 Yr old golden and pulls on the leash sometimes as if she may be a runner. If anyone has any ideas of what she may be a mix of, please let me know.

Thanks!
    http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13137397_f1024.jpg

1. DrMark1961 profile image92
      DrMark1961posted 4 months ago in reply to this

If it really matters, there are DNA tests available to help you determine the breeds involved in your dogĀ“s ancestry.
      But does it matter? If you are happy with her just tell people she is "100% mestizo" (a mixed breed). SHe is probably a Border Collie mix, but I do not think it matters. I hope you all are happy together.

2. louiseelcross profile image81
      louiseelcrossposted 4 months ago in reply to this

The dog looks similar to my border collie cross. I never knew what she was crossed with.  When she was younger she used to run off in the fields with me chasing her. Eventually she stopped running off and never left my side. She was intelligent as collies are and was easy to train to do tricks like open cupboard doors for me and wrap herself up when I told her it was bed time. I had her for 17 years even though she only had 3 legs when I found her all those yrs ago. She was my faithful companion and best friend. She died two years ago and I still miss her but I feel blessed that I found her. Enjoy her and I too hope you have many happy times together.

2. 60

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13137418_f1024.jpg

1. louiseelcross profile image81
      louiseelcrossposted 4 months ago in reply to this

And she is a gorgeous looking dog.

3. 60

I know it doesn'the matter, but it would be nice to know what to expect. Is she a possible runner.? Chases other animals [prey)? She seems to like to pounce. Will she be hi energy? Medium energy? She is so different looking that it would be nice to know.  We love her no matter what, but would like to know what her look comes from and what to expect from her.  DNA test is too expensive.  I just thought if anyone had an idea of what she looks like.  I was thinking possibly part border collie, very curious what else. Tried looking at border collie mixes online, but none that really. Look like her.

Any other ideas????

1. DrMark1961 profile image92
      DrMark1961posted 4 months ago in reply to this

Most likely high energy, high prey drive, but even if you knew her exact breed there are no guarantees. There are Siberian Huskies that will play with cats, Schnauzers that will put up with rabbits and chickens, etc.
      With a mixed breed dog there is even less ability to predict her behavior.

4. 60

As I mentioned earlier, I don'the just want to know what her behavior will be, but also where her looks come from.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 months ago

I have nothing to add except: AWWWWWWW CUUUUUUUTE!

6. 60

louiseelcross,
    I hope you are right and she does calm down. And I know what it's like to lose a dog that was part of the family. We had to put our 13 Yr old golden down a few years ago. Hardest thing ever! Still miss him! We talk to him when we go way out back in the yard by his grave.

Anyone else have any guesses???

7. 60

Any other ideas of what she might be?

working