jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Stinky Dog

1. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

My usually nonstinky Boxer has lately been smelling up the house. Her coat is smelling more doggy stinky and she is having worse than normal gas. Her food is the same and she hasn't changed her eating habits. As far as I know she hasn't gotten into anything outside, but she could have without me knowing I guess. Also, she tends to follow my toddler around picking up food he drops...could that be causing the stinkiness? Any other ideas or tips?

1. Ana Louis profile image82
      Ana Louisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi Janetta.  I'm no expert, although I do have a Shih Tzu.  I find with her gas is always associated with food and the "stinky dog" issue is usually due to skin problems. A condition Shih Tzu are cursed with.  Might be something you might want to check with your vet about.  Whish I could be of more help.

2. SeSharer profile image75
      SeSharerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know nothing about that..

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Could it have something to do with aging?

3. 0

I don't think so, she is only a year old. I'm wondering if maybe it is just her food and it's starting to affect her in a different way or something?

4. shibashake profile image84
    shibashakeposted 7 years ago

I agree with Ana Louis. Gas is usually food related with my dogs. Human food is frequently too rich for dogs, and gets their digestive system going a bit crazy.

As for the smell it could be something with the skin or something with the mouth. The mouth is easier to check, so just make sure the gums are healthy, and the teeth are clean.

Is she scratching herself a lot? Skin issues usually cause a fair amount of itchiness.

5. 0

yes. Shiba, she has been doing more scratching--you're probably right about the skin issue. I will check with the vet about it, thanks smile
    The gas probably is from getting a hold of people food my boys drop I guess. I'll just have to watch more closely when they have food around her and make sure she isn't lying in wait for a morsel to drop smile

1. shibashake profile image84
      shibashakeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Try teaching her the Leave-it command. Or give her a fun food toy to play with during your son's meal times smile