jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

He's never going to trust me again :(

1. Everyday Miracles profile image93
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

About a year ago we had our adult male cat neutered. Afterwards, he was a different cat. Moody, withdrawn and he acted "old" at only one year old. I hated it. I never wanted to go through that again, but now that our kittens are "mature" we realize that there's no option.

I got Keeper packed up and ready to go to the vet in the morning, but Monster... He clawed me (badly) and has hidden so deeply in the recesses of the basement that I don't know if I'll find him by the morning to get him off to the vet for the surgery. I can't leave him loose in the house because he's too likely to find food in one form or another.

I can't catch him. There are no doors in our house. I don't know why, but for some reason someone took off virtually every door in our house (except on the bathroom and obviously the outside doors). He has access the basement, but we've blocked off the second story. He has the entire basement and ground floor and is hiding in the beams in the basement. We can't catch him. We've tried everything that we can think of, and the cat is traumatized.

If this wasn't worth it for his ultimate health and happiness, I'd be saying "screw it." This is ridiculous! Why can't there be a peaceful way to carry a cat to the vet! Why not leashes? Or some other non-traumatic method? We've always used leashes in the past, so why does it have to be boxes now? Ugh!

2. thranax profile image58
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Aww poor thing lol. I'm sure your cat will come around at some point. If there house cats I don't see why they need to be altered other then one sex of them. Just do it to all the males or females, and then there no way for them to reproduce.

1. LondonGirl profile image92
      LondonGirlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You can't have un-neutered tom cats as indoor cats, though. They get aggressive, want to get out, spray urine to mark their patch, etc.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image93

Health reasons. They could get the males in before the female anyway and I think she might be pregnant, darnit! We're having her spayed regardless but I still get a twinge of guilt sad My husband isn't going to tell me if she is. I'm... Yeah.

Whisper is finally starting to come out of it, but he still acts old all the time. Like he's stiff. They're due for shots so he's probably going to need to see the vet in June anyway.

4. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image90
    Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 7 years ago

Honey, just give him time to calm down and give yourself a minute too. He obviously knows something is upsetting his routine so the calmer you can stay - the easier it will be for both of you. Try opening a can of tuna or other treat and see if you can't get him curious enough to be approachable.

You may have to postpone the appt. Tell the vet your problem and see if he can give you a sedative to put in some tuna or other treat. Then make the arrangements to get him transported and the procedure done.

I know it's hard- but your are being a responsible person about this. He will forgive you. It's alot easier on them if they are still young - adults take it pretty hard...at least all of mine did.

Good luck sweetie

5. Everyday Miracles profile image93

Thank you Nanny J.O.A.T.

We've been trying for nearly an hour and can't get him to come out of the basement. We're going to try again in the morning -- food hasn't been working, and he doesn't know the can opening sound as he's never been fed canned food. He never comes running when I open a can.

I'm hoping we can get him in the morning. We're taking them to the low-cost spay/neuter place, but they might be able to recommend something or give us something (or refer us to a vet who can). Unfortunately it's going to be at least two weeks before we can get him back in because they are so booked up.

Poor Keeper is miserable, but he'll be okay. He was much easier to get since he is more naturally trusting and he adores me.

6. Everyday Miracles profile image93

It's the toms that are getting done this week, LG. Next week the young female is getting spayed. The older female is reproductively deficient -- no need to have her spayed to prevent kittens, but she's still young enough to get health benefits.

7. LondonGirl profile image92
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Best of luck today.

My OH referred to it as "circumcision" when we had our two done - he can cope with circumcision as a concept, but not with castration, I think (-:

8. LondonGirl profile image92
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Did it go OK?

1. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image90
      Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, please how are you and the guys doing???

9. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 7 years ago

Hi from Scotland, Everyday Miracles

I took some advice from your name and decided that my knackers were more important than my loyalty to my mistress.

Jumped on a flight and am having a ball.

Off to see Edinburgh Castle tomorrow and have a hot date with a cute little tabby from the Kingdom of Fife tomorrow night!

Slainte Mhaith,