jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

People get testy when you talk about their dogs...

1. profile image0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

As you may or may not know, I wrote a hub a while back about Chiweiner dogs. The hub is basically about the funny names we give to mixed breed dogs. It says not a single negative thing about the breed and I even put up cute pics of some. I said at the bottom I wasn't trying to deter anyone or encourage anyone to get a Chiweiner, just thought the name was funny-- anyway I keep getting comments from angry chiweiner owners. I know I want to change peoples minds when they talk bad about Boxers, but I never said anything bad about Chiweiners!!

1. selfdefenseclique profile image60
      selfdefensecliqueposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi Janetta,

I don't think they are taking it out on you personally. I do believe for some or even most of us, our pets are our children, at least that's the way I feel. I have 5 cats that live indoors and 3 ferrets. I hear people talk all the time about how ferrets are very mean and it's just not true. I throw back at them that maybe they should show the animal some attention and it wouldn't bite.

It's OK for you to speak out about them, I truly don't see the harm in what you said or did.

Laurie

2. selfdefenseclique profile image60
      selfdefensecliqueposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi Janetta,

I don't think they are taking it out on you personally. I do believe for some or even most of us, our pets are our children, at least that's the way I feel. I have 5 cats that live indoors and 3 ferrets. I hear people talk all the time about how ferrets are very mean and it's just not true. I throw back at them that maybe they should show the animal some attention and it wouldn't bite.

It's OK for you to speak out about them, I truly don't see the harm in what you said or did.

Laurie

2. profile image0

well thank you Laurie, I appreciate that.  I tried to keep it objective. I'm a dog owner myself so I wouldn't want to put down someones pet. 
    I think ferrets are great btw. my cousin used to have two. smile

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

What the heck is a Chiweiner?

1. Whitney05 profile image61
      Whitney05posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Chihuahua and a Daschund mix.

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

exactly.  and they are pretty cute.

1. Whitney05 profile image61
          Whitney05posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think they look pretty goofy... And a goofy name. I'd never be able to say 'I have a chiweiner' It would always be 'I have a chihuahua/daschund mix.' I mean that's what it is. Why should it have a fancy name? Ha

1. profile image0

haha-- I know! That's why I had to write the hub! The name is just not right!! There are tons of them, too. I found an A to Z list of crazy mixed breed names. There is actually a Dorkie--daucshund/Yorkie  LOL

4. earnestshub profile image89
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

I had a Chihuahua that was a wonderful pet, I googled the Chiweiner. They are beautiful. I love sausage dogs as we call Dachshunds!

5. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

lol earnestshub, sausage dogs, thats cute, lol....Janetta, I wouldn't take the angry comments to heart smile its always good to have mix of good and bad comments I think and their poor behavior says what now, when you didn't do any harm wink

1. profile image0

thanks Dame!

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 7 years ago

I have been a life long dog lover - most particularly of German Shepherds. They truly are, "Man's Best Friend," in my opinion.

I can understand your attachment, Janetta, as some of the worst experiences of my life have been saying the necessary good-byes to my greatest friends.

I remember the time in 1992 when I actually called the vet out to the house in very unsociable hours and got the, "Old Shep," speech. "I can't do no more for him, Jim (Gordon.)" That was a two bottles of single malt night and my "Old Shep" single on repeat.

I have experienced the pain but the love of a dog is unconditional and uncompromising - not like with women! - so I am sticking to the company of my four-legged friends in future. smile

1. profile image0

sad that was sad...  Losing pets is hard. I still haven't gotten over the beagle I lost in '01. probably never will...
      I understand what you mean - they are a part of the family.  I don't know what I would do if we lost our boxer. She is like my third child!

7. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Bugger them Janetta. One guy admits to carrying his around in a bag FGS. It's a dog - I don't care what it looks like or what its name is ... it's a dog.

Let people throw stones. Sometimes they've nothing better to do.

Now go and write about Chiweiners - The Latest Colour Out Now!

wink

8. profile image0

LOL Frog, I know!  Those Chiweiner lovers are testy smile

1. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

small dog mentality ... *whistles*

working