jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

old dog

1. 60
    2momsposted 7 years ago

I have an old dog and he hates !!!!! to be groomed no groomer will groom him... We have done the home groom but hes very old and has arthritis so we feel bad if we hurt him. My question is. Is there a way to get rid of the hair on the dog without cutting or clippering him. We thought of Nair it works for your legs would it work for a dog??? We need all the help and thoughts we can get.

1. RRRood profile image84
      RRRoodposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Colebabie - Don't use Nair!  The chemicals would be too much for an old dog. There are gloves available that have nubs that help remove hair without digging too deep or pulling too much. Sweet talk your dog and make it seem more like a petting session than a grooming session.  Old dogs need TLC more than they need grooming anyway : )

2. CennyWenny profile image85
      CennyWennyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No chemicals! They could potentially burn your friend's skin. I like to use a Furminator to get tons of hair off our dogs, helps save the vacuum cleaner too. Plus, you can clip a dog lying down, ask me how I know, it ain't pretty but...

2. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

Don't use Nair on a dog! Not a good idea. Using a good brush will get most of the dead hair out of his coat. Try doing that a few times a day. Talk to a vet. I have also heard about droplets for the water to reduce shedding.