jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

I need dog training help!!!

1. 60
    K Smittyposted 7 years ago

my dog Bailey doesnt bark at anyting and i want to teach her how to speak so i feel more protected around the house.. how do i train her? (the only thing that makes her really bark is when im singing and she sings along.. but when i tried to train her like that she is getting really confused)

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have two terriers, and they bark readily when someone approaches the front door.  I didn't have to train them to do this, it was inherant in them.

What type of dog do you have?  Some breeds are more dominant than others.

2. TravelinPaws profile image59
      TravelinPawsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps Bailey is really in sync with you and knows when you are happy you sing! She goes along with you on that. Know in your heart that if any negative energy comes to your door, she will let the world know. Training a dog to bark on command can be fun, but if your dog is calm and follows your lead, she or he will defend you if it truly is needed. We all hope that never becomes necessary. If you still want to pursue training her for the fun stuff, perhaps you can find some good tips from Cesar Millan's website. I hope this helps smile

2. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

All you can do is find a trigger that makes your dog bark and praise. When you are certain your dog is about the bark, say the command ''speak'' anticipating your dog, then immediately treat. Sooner than later your dog will realize that when she barks on command she is rewarded. Clicker training may be an effective method for teaching your dog to bark.

3. HealthCare Basics profile image83
    HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago

Dear, do you really want to have your dog bark at everything? Case in point, I live in a townhome with 74 other townhomes, all having some breed of animal. Each time a human body or animal walks by my residence the dogs go crazy. Not pretty. In California, we can be fined by our home association for barking dogs at $50.00 a pop. Just upgrade the locks...........

1. grambeth profile image61
      grambethposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You can be fined for barking dogs? Even if you are not home?
      The association here would own me smile

4. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

Wish I had your problem!  My dog is all too ready to bark.

My brother-in-law trains security dogs, and I know that they do do aggression training, to teach dogs not to be so friendly, but they usually like it when the dogs don't bark too much.  They would rather have the dog watch quietly, and intervene when needed.

5. dogskool profile image61
    dogskoolposted 7 years ago

You are on the right track (...the only thing that makes her really bark is when im singing and she sings along).

The key is to set a pattern:
    1) starting with the command (speak, sing, whatever you want as the command)
    2) within a second, trigger what makes her bark now (your singing)
    3) reward her with a treat when when she barks.

After repeating the complete sequence several times, wait up to 5 seconds before step 2.
    a) If she barks reward her with a jackpot reward (several treats, one after the other. I usually give 4 or 5.)
    b) If not continue with step 2 to help her get the reward.

After several attempts your dog should recognize the pattern and want to jump from step 1 to step 3, taking a "shortcut" to the jackpot reward.

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

Don't open a can of worms. What kind of dog is she? Usually robbers watch a house, and just knowing there is a large dog they avoid it. If you're looking for her to alert you, get an alarm.