Do puppy mills really exist because of the law of supply and demand?

1. Keith S profile image60
    Keith Sposted 7 years ago

I wrote a hub against purchasing puppies from puppy mills.

One person responded to the hub by saying,
    "If there was not so much of a demand and people would quit buying puppies then puppy mills could not exist. The old saying of supply and demand still remains true, even with puppies!"

My response is there are millions of dogs a year that are put down. That seems to be a large supply. Much of the demand for puppies from puppy mills is because people are ignorant about the conditions the breeding stock and the puppies are kept in at puppy mills. So in this case your analogy of supply and demand is tragically flawed.

What do you think?

2. livewithrichard profile image87
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

I think puppy mills are around simply because of economics. People who get their pets from these mills are not looking for show dogs they're looking for a quick way to get the pet of a certain breed which they desire at a price that is affordable to them.  In this case, I think the supply feeds the demand and not the other way around.

3. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

Well then demand in a way feeds the supply. Its a back and forth process. So it's both. People are looking for pure-bred puppies. That demand for a pure bred puppy increases the supply and the market for puppy mills. It is true, if people stopped buying puppies, then there wouldn't be the market for puppy mills. If they weren't selling them, then they wouldn't have a business. But at the same time, because there are sooo many puppies, they are cheaper from puppy mills. They are a disgusting, vile, gross, and sad market. I have never bought a pet store dog. My mother got our golden retriever from a licensed breeder. Our other dogs came from shelters.