jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Somethings You Should Know Before Having An Exotic Pet

1. Jackilyn profile image60
    Jackilynposted 8 years ago

Hi PoleCat!

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.I do beleive that you will have fun with your anteater.

Make sure :

in a state that allows your exotic  pet

( I beleieve you should )have a area for them outside and inside they seem to be happier

make sure that you have the time  to take care of the cage or exhibit

make sure your exhibit or cage will keep them in

stay with them once they are in the cage for about an hour that way they will feel comfortable

have time to play with them

know the proper foods when young and when they are grown

know all the illnesses that can make them sick & know how to treat the illness

make sure you have a vet that will help you with your extic pet

any questions, roll did I forget anything ? smile
    hope this helped let me know though....

2. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Looks great Jackilyn.

I actually, have a hub on things to decide before bringing home a specialty animal.

Things to Consider Before Buying a Specialty Animal

3. thooghun profile image87
    thooghunposted 8 years ago

What kind of pets are we talking about here? Would an Iguana qualify?

4. Jackilyn profile image60

Yes,iguana's qualify.

yea I read that hub and hopefully polecat will see that. =] glad you think its good. Would it be alright if I could do a hub on it to?? or ......

5. 59
    PoleCatposted 8 years ago

Hello and thank you for the information, Jackilyn. I live in New Jersey and have yet to look into the regulations for owning an exotic pet. Here, you do need a permit to own a ferret and my family is very against the idea of owning anything other than cats and dogs. I might be able to own a pair of ferrets, though, once we move and are settled in our new house. I may have to wait until I am living on my own in a less populated area to own an exotic pet. I read an article once about a woman named Lilo Hess from the 1950s and she owned a giant anteater named Teddy. I know that she lived somewhere in Pennsylvania and that she bought him from Mr. C Chase of the Chase Wild Animal Farm. Have you read that article? It was in the Natural History magazine back in 1953, I believe.
    I'll check out the information on specialty animals. Thank you very much for all the information you gave me.

6. Jackilyn profile image60

i have to leave i'll be back on monday. =] and i like that story.

7. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Other animals that apply:

Reptiles (especially snakes and larger lizards)
    Small and furry animals (especially those originating in other countries- chinchillas, degus, etc and yes ferrets definately)

I'd basically, say anything that's not a dog, cat, or fish, can be included into a specialty/exotic animal category.

Jackilyn- definately make another hub... I think polecat, may have intended that, if you recieved a request from him. I'm sure you can add more info that I missed from mine.