I Need Help-How do I Stop my Cats from Urinating on my Bed?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. jessdoit profile image61
    jessdoitposted 16 years ago

I have had to throw out 2 beds because my Cats urinating on them and I can not get the smell out of the mattress. If anyone knows how to make cats stop doing this, Please Help.
    These cats are house trained to go outside. They have a cat door installed in my window 2 feet from the bed, but every once in a while one of them will use my bed. Help!
    Thanks,
    Jessdoit

1. trakker14 profile image61
      trakker14posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to say as long as the scent is embedded in the mattress, you may always have this issue., never clean the spot with anything that contains ammonia, some times putting a plastic or vinyl mattress cover under the NEW mattress cover will keep the scent from coming through.secure the pet door for aboaut a week. Place  metal cookie trays with marbles on them on the bed so when it jumps up, the metal pans will scare him.  We had to do this to a sofa. The litter box may be a thing to use also. Close door to the room and keep cat outside the door. Have  cat checked  by vet if this is a fairly new thing as it may be a bladder or urinary infection. Or move cat door to another room where a bed isnt present. Hope some of this helped.

2. dog cat profile image60
    dog catposted 16 years ago

I would put a litter box inside, just in case, maybe something scared them outside, I no first hand, If our cats litter box, isn't keep clean, they will find another spot, but if there trained to go outside, it don't make sense. I have tried this product, <snip>no promotional links</snip> and this does work, it might be cheaper than a new bed.

3. jessdoit profile image61

Hi Dog Cat,
    Thanks for the link Re: urine remover. I visited the site and will order the starter kit. If it works it is creaper than a new mattress.
    It took me months to train the cats to go outside and am so happy to have that smell out of my house. I do not want another litter box in the house.
    This is what I did to train the cats to go outside.
    When the kittens were old enough to start exploring, I put a litter box near their basket. When they were older I moved the box under the window and installed a cat door into a peice of plywood, cut to the fit in the bottom 12 inches across the window. This is a old house and the window slides up. I painted the plywood white around the cat door, to match the house color.
    I closed the window up to the plywood,drilled a small hole at the top of the closed window on the frame, and pushed a strong nail into the hole I drilled. This was to prevent intruders from getting into the house, as I could no longer lock the window.
    Then I placed another litter box outside under the window. A couple of months later I removed the litter box from in the house and put it beside the house under the shrubs, half full of litter and added soil to the box. Every time I cleaned this box I put less litter and more soil until it was all soil. I couple of months later I removed the litter box from outside under the window and removed the box from under the shrubs. The cats now go out under the shrubs and I don,t have the smells in the house, except for when they use my bed!1???

4. jessdoit profile image61

Hi Trakker14,

Thanks for the input. I have used newspaper on the bed, when I am not in it. It worked like the pan of marbles, but I take it off to sleep and forget to put it back on. The cats don,t do it often, but once is to much. I put a plastic tarp on my new mattress.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Jessdoit

5. Betty Jo Petty profile image61
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 16 years ago

Hi,

It's Betty Jo Petty.  I did as you suggested and put the picture of my Papa Cat on my Hub Page.

You say you changed the kitties from kitty litter to soil.  I have noticed with my cats they will not use outside dirt unless it is fluffy!

We have sand spots in our yard, and they will go there.  We also have some spots with loose soil, rotted leaves, sand etc. mixed that is loose.  They go there.  Watch the places the soil isn't soft-  no cats there.

We have to watch my grandsons and keep them away from these areas.

You might try adding more kitty litter to your soil, or even a bag of sand or potting soil ???

As for the cat urine or pets any thing they smell, they will return to.  You might have to put them in your bathroom when you can't watch them otherwise.

One hint I have for a litter box. Use just enough for the nighttime, and clean container each day.  You might want this in the bathroom, laundry room, etc. to get them used to it again, with closing them in the room.

Any animals not watched constantly, can create havoc.  Just like my grandsons! Betty Jo

6. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 16 years ago

Supposing the cat doesn't have a UTI or some other medical reason for choosing your bed as a litterbox, you might have some success with Feliway. You have to clean whatever it is they're marking really well so their scent is out of it, then you spray the Feliway on said object. It's a generic cat scent like the ones they leave by rubbing their head on you. You won't be able to smell it but they generally take it to mean the bed is already owned by someone else. I used it to train three unaltered tomcats not to spray (and to get allong with eachother - without territory disputes they settled in well together.) Best wishes.

Here's what the stuff looks like. I get mine at the local petstore. Sometimes Agway has it as well. <snip>no promotional links</snip>

7. jessdoit profile image61

Hi Theophanes,
       Thanks for the tip about the spray. I will try to find it in pet stores here.
    Thanks again, Jessdoit

8. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 16 years ago

The most easy and comfortable way is let them do.huh

9. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 16 years ago

The most easy and comfortable way is let them do.huh

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)