jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (32 posts)

dog or cat

1. profile image60
    artkidposted 7 years ago

which of them can be tamed easier? dog or cat?

1. ediggity profile image59
      ediggityposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Dog.

2. rebeccahabel profile image60
      rebeccahabelposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Dogs always want to please the pack leader, so if they see you as the leader they're easy to train.

Cats are easy to train too. At least mine are. They will do anything to please me and in return give me unconditional love. I have had cats sit and beg. They are easy to teach to always come when called - mine come to a whistle. I taught one to curl up in the passenger seat when I took him in the car and another to walk with a lead.

Artkid: "whereas cats really don't care if they please you or not" Not true at all. Cats will only do things for love, never for threats.

My current cat growls at visitors (like a dog) to the extent when the guy came to read my meter last week he left a note saying dog not restrained. As we don't have one, we figured the cat scared him off. He also eats bones like a dog, so he's a bit confused - see my hub for pics.

2. profile image0
    Denno66posted 7 years ago

Cats be tamed? Hmm, sounds like slim to none. Dogs, certainly.

3. E. Nicolson profile image87
    E. Nicolsonposted 7 years ago

I've had cats and dogs most of my life, and dogs are certainly easier. You really don't tame a cat -- they tame you.

1. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They tame you, and in a such sophisticated manner... that you even enjoy it big_smile

4. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago

dog=men cats=women you decide

meow.

5. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago

Woof?

6. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 7 years ago

Dogs all the way!!

7. hoodieweather profile image60
    hoodieweatherposted 7 years ago

DOGS!

8. dave272727 profile image59
    dave272727posted 7 years ago

I like both, but currently I have a cat.  He goes everywhere with me.

9. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Dogs seem to be much more people-dependent, whereas cats really don't care if they please you or not. Therefor, dogs tend to be trained much, much easier because their reward is making their human happy. I've only had one cat that was easy to train, and he thought he was a dog...to the extent that he ignored the other cats, and one of the dogs was his only playmate.

1. profile image60
      artkidposted 7 years ago in reply to this

you had a cute cat.. smile

10. Black Lilly profile image61
    Black Lillyposted 7 years ago

Cats do care whether YOU please them big_smile

1. dave272727 profile image59
      dave272727posted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL

Men are like cats, aren't they?
        Or maybe the opposite...

I like cats...

well, you have one...
            Men who'd like cats are quite rare, you know that? They're mostly into dogs, because these listen and do as they are told, whereas cats are quite complicated cratures. That's another one of my theories.

So I have been told.  I have always been a cat person.  They all have their own personalities and quirks.  I just happen to appreciate their intelligence.

1. profile image0
                Home Girlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Just try and adopt one(grown up)from a shelter. I have one for 5 years already and he is still crazy and wild! I wish somebody adopted him from me. Never again.

11. Dark knight rides profile image65
    Dark knight ridesposted 7 years ago

I'd say cat's are easier to tame, though harder to train. Hardly ever hear about someone getting mauled by a tabby.

1. wychic profile image80
      wychicposted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL...you never met my tabby.

It is true that the average cat can inflict much less damage than a large dog, but some still try. I have rehabbed many animals, and with me dogs generally allow touch within a week no matter how badly they've been treated, whereas I've spent up to three months with a cat before it allowed any touch.

2. Carmen Borthwick profile image81
      Carmen Borthwickposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Good one. However, a few years back there was a news report concerning a 'cat' burgler (couldn't resist) who was cornered by a siamese cat until the police arrived after the elderly lady owner called 911. Too funny.
      Cats are a bit more difficult to train, but if you start when they are kittens its amazing what they are willing to learn, mine sits when told to earn her treats.

1. profile image60
        artkidposted 7 years ago in reply to this

yes, they are amazing when trained.. I trained my puppies and kittens to eat on my hand.. I didn't learn that, it's just an instinct since I was a kid because I had an experience with our dog who tried to bit my hand when I touched her head while she was eating.. that is why I told myself that maybe if I let them eat from my hand, they would learn not to bite me.. and up to now, it works with my dogs and cats..smile

12. profile image0
    Denno66posted 7 years ago

Huh. I second my earlier Dog vote smile

13. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 7 years ago

I think it's obvious that it's easier to train dogs than it is cats. If it were the other way around, we'd have police cats and guide-cats for the blind. And there would be a film hero, too, called Tiggie and not Lassie.

I love cats. I have one -- Nero, not Tiggie. She sits and lies down when I tell her to, but that's about it. She's also very communitive. But only affectionate when she wants to be, and she'll even hit me if I don't give her what she wants when she wants it -- her food.

Cats, I believe, could be rated more intelligent than dogs, because they won't do anything unless there's some sense to it.

And they're easier to keep ...

14. alekhouse profile image82
    alekhouseposted 7 years ago

I've had both and I think dogs are easier to tame. Cats do what they darn well please.

15. thranax profile image50
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Dogs - there mans best friends.

~thranax~

16. profile image60
    artkidposted 7 years ago

I had dogs and cats.. cats are very cautious.. they don't easily trust anyone and are hard to please at first but as the days go by with constant bonding, they would learn to get along with you..smile

17. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 7 years ago

Cats can be taught to do things, like fetch toys and use the toilet bowl instead of their litter pan, but dogs are definately easier to teach.

18. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

Dog for sure but I have to admit cats are better eating and make great slippers!

working