jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)

1. Suspect20 profile image81
    Suspect20posted 6 years ago

What's the deal with these crafty animals?  I have always been a dog guy growing up, but my brother recently needed someone to watch his cat (He is doing an internship and cant keep his cat in the apartment) and I am convinced this animal is completely crazy.

We have a large aggressive dog in the house (9 year old Shepard) so the cat has to stay in one large room, and is sadly alone most of the day.  Someone usually sleeps with her during the nights so don't say I am completely heartless.

Anyway, I sometimes let the cat in my room when she is crying all lonely and pathetic like, but she doesn't seem to care or notice.  She will just look around for random crap to play with, climb my curtains/clothes and doesn't really try to get attention or sleep.  I can usually tell exactly what my dog wants or is feeling and it is strange not knowing if the cat notices/cares or would be just as happy alone in her own room.

Any cat people shed some light on this mysterious feline?  Or does anyone happen to know if cat tastes better baked, broiled, or fried? =x

1. cheaptrick profile image76
      cheaptrickposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My "master"is named Bosko,must be the biggest Siamese in the world.Self cleaning litter box,filtered water fountain,every toy known to man,five double shelved windows for a view.He poops in my shoe,drinks out of the toilet,and plays with"NOTHING",just jumps around chasing imaginary somethings.Anyone know of a good therapist I could take him too.Oh,every time he poops in my shoe he gives me that"What are ya gonna do about it" look.He doesn't even help with the rent or groceries,some excuse about"nobody is hiring cats"or some thing...

2. bumbus profile image59
      bumbusposted 6 years ago in reply to this
  2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Most cats are certainly more aloof than your average pooch. Does this cat "know" you well?

1. Suspect20 profile image81
      Suspect20posted 6 years ago in reply to this

She grew up (1 1/2 years or so) with my brother then he moved and she has been living here now for about 6 months.  I am not the one that sleeps in her room every night (someone always does) but I have spent time playing with her and had her in my room for a few hours numerous times during the day.

It is just kind of frustrating to hear her crying at her door, then when I let her in my room she acts like she could care less.  Right now she is clawing at walls like she wants to get out, so our "bonding" time is about to be over.

1. Sandy Thorn profile image61
        Sandy Thornposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have had cats all of my life and I think I know them very well, and to me, it sounds like this cat is bored and unhappy.  Cats need a way to "play" (hunt, chase, pounce, stalk).  Do you play with the cat, or does she have toys that she can play with on her own?  Indoor cats can become very unhappy without a play outlet.  Also, does her room have a view of the outdoors and a place where she can sit comfortably and watch the world outside?

I know some people are vehemently opposed to this, but I am an advocate of letting cats go outside.  I've seen too many miserable indoor cats.

1. 0
          Leta Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  They need their freedom and need to be outside when they want.  Thankfully, we have a big yard...my cat doesn't much meander anywhere else.

Cats are subtle, intelligent animals and have their own moods and want to do what they want to do - in essence, they are very self-possessed and their own animal (which is what I appreciate about them).  I don't think they react well to anyone slotting them in for bonding time or leaving them alone in a small space.

They are social - but not like dogs.  They like to spend time near people, but they will be the ones to decide if they want to play or come up to you to be affectionate.

It also helps if you speak 'Cat.'  lol!

3. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

They are good eating and they make a great pair of slippers!

4. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

Cats just like doing things there own way. Dogs like following a leader.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

My cat Boo is happy to be allowed out on the balcony and he finds ways to amuse himself. He has a bagful of toys and I find them all over the apartment.

Many times cats will yell and scream at a door just because it is closed. Boo is like that, he is only interested in getting in a room when the door is closed.

6. Rayalternately profile image60
    Rayalternatelyposted 6 years ago

Dogs live in your house.

You live in your cat's house.

That's the distinction . big_smile

7. Lisa HW profile image85
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

My cats have  always pretty much let me know what they wanted, and they've generally greeted visitors; so I don't see them as aloof at all.  I do think they need to know you really well, be in their own comfortable environment, and be at least a few years old before they get really sociable and engaged.

8. 60
    iamcoolguyposted 6 years ago

I laughed hard reading this thread. Don't fry 'em. Or boil 'em. Be merciful big_smile

9. 0
    loriamooreposted 6 years ago

My husband and I have 3 cats and each has his/her own distinct personality.

One of them, the 15 yr old girl should be on Prozac as she is a nutjob, but cute.

The 13 yr old girl is friendly,but only to me.  She doesn't like strangers and she's aloof with everyone else.

The 4 yr old boy likes EVERYBODY.  He will let strangers pet him and hold him and he is an equal opportunity play-baby with both me and my husband.

They are great entertainment.  The young one is having fun climbing our Christmas tree this month!

1. 0
      sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Are they part of your food storage program or just pets?

1. Black Lilly profile image77
        Black Lillyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sneako, looking at your avatar I'd say you should stop thinking about food.

Geez, what a fabulous sense of humour...

10. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

I too am a big advocate of cats being able to go outside.

As far as my four are concerned, closed doors are an absolute anathema. They don't necessarily want what is on the other side, but want to be able to get there. They also like to be around humans, even if they don't take much notice of them most of the time.

11. hanskrafter profile image79
    hanskrafterposted 6 years ago

Hi all!

regarding to this cat story,

I have an incredible cat, which has a behavior of a dog and acts like a dog as if it a dog living in a cat... maybe they have exchanged their souls.. i made some videos of my crazy dog-cat pet see them in my article

adn see for yourself how it bites.. and barks.. hehe