jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

what should i do about my dogs health???

1. komal93 profile image61
    komal93posted 6 years ago

i have a german shepard of about 7 yrs!!! he met with an accident about 3 years back and had to undego a surgery.
    he is fine now but isn't the same anymore. it has lost a lot of weight and no medicines are able to make up for his health.
    recently he has also started loosing his hair.
    i've taken it to many vets but none of the vets are able to tell me what is wrong with him!!! can someone plz help me with my problem.. i would be grateful to you!!!!

2. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

i'm so sorry about your dog. i had a German Shepherd when i was a teenager, and he was the sweetest, most loyal, loving and protective dog.

since he has been to so many vets, i assume they have taken his temperature, checked his vital signs and heart rate and examined him thoroughly for signs of pain and have found none, right?

did they recommend some sort of supplement or different food since he is losing weight?

my German Shepherd was tough but also very sensitive and that may be their nature, and he may still be recovering from trauma. are you giving him lots of attention and quiet time and petting him and reassuring him a lot?

when i first brought my bunny home from the rabbit rescue, she was a wreck, as she had been in horrible situations before that. she really calmed down and warmed up when i gently massaged her. have you tried doing something like that?

keep asking those vets for answers, as you are not getting them. and since they are trained, they should be able to help you.

i hope your dog gets better and you find answers.

komal93posted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks a lot for your concern.i really appreciate it!!!
      the vets have tried loads of medications on my dog but he still isn't getting healthy. he constantly wants to be left out of the house and the food supplements aren't doing any good. but i will surely try the things u told me to....thnx a lot....

1. AEvans profile image73
        AEvansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Cosette give him more attention, cuddle, play set time aside for just him sometimes the food you give them can cause them to lose their fur too! Ask them to check him for Cancer as bad as that sounds but that is what I would also recommend. smile

komal93posted 6 years ago in reply to this

thnx aevans will get him checkd!!!

3. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago

Does the dog drink massive ammounts of water now? Have a voracious appetite? Been getting skin infections like on it's nose?

Might want to check out Cushings disease symptoms. I hope this is not the case, but I would check it out. Holly

4. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

When one of our pointers started losing weight for no apparent reason, our vet had us mix chopped liver in with his food. Have you checked your dog's teeth and gums? Eating might cause him pain.

5. ddsurfsca profile image77
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

Sometimes animals have digestion problems after accindents.  What kind of food are u feeding ?  I had to put my dog on rice and Chicken only for a few months before he got normal.  Nothing else, just boiled chicken and rice. Easy to digest,and puts on weight

6. MagicStarER profile image92
    MagicStarERposted 6 years ago

What are you feeding your dog?  If you are feeding him purchased canned or dry dog food, stop giving it to him immediately.  The pet food that you buy in the stores is full of toxins, even pentobarbital.  (That's the stuff they use to euthanize animals at shelters!)  It makes your pets sick, and makes their hair fall out.  It also contains many other things that make your pets sick. 

Please google "what's in your pet's food" and learn about what crap they are putting in pet food. 

Then google "make your own dog food".

You can make your dog's food very easily.  They need about 5 parts meat, one part some kind of veggie.  Do not give dogs potatoes, onions, grapes, raisins, nor tomatoes or green peppers.  Grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs.  Onions can make them very sick.  And so can tomatoes, potatoes, and green peppers.  (Tomatoes and green peppers belong to the nightshade family)  Good veggies for dogs:  carrots, yams, peas, green beans.  (They love sweet potatoes!)

You can boil up hamburger, chicken, lamb, or chicken or beef livers(chicken liver is cheap!), but no pork and no processed meats!
    When it cools off, add the mashed veggies and a bunch of cooked rice or pasta.  And feed that to your dog.  He will love it, and after a month or so, you will see how much healthier and energetic he will be.

Be careful with treats.  They, too, are not healthy for your dog.  I had a pup get very sick from dog treats.  They had salmonella in them, my doggie almost died from so much vomiting.

I have switched over to making the food for my puppy dogs myself, because purchased food is just not good for them at all, and I do not want them to die.

I hope he gets to feeling better soon!

7. komal93 profile image61
    komal93posted 6 years ago

thnx Magic StarER....U HAVE BIN OF REALY GR8 HELP....thnx a ton....smile