jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Dog: Critical state.help!

1. Ravichandran91 profile image60
    Ravichandran91posted 6 years ago

Dear Vets/Members/Animal Lovers

I m from India. I have a pet dog (Breed: Spitz) who is 12 Yrs  old!

For the last four months he has stopped having regular food.His activity levels have gone down to almost nil. His condition is deteriorating.

After a couple of Blood Tests he was diagonosed with liver complications for which the local Vets prescribed Antibiotics and Silymarin  suspension. We were giving this for around two months.

Around 4 weeks back, Suddenly there was inflammation of his Testicles . The inflammation was also coupled with blister on the scrotum and also pus discharge .

After anti-inflammatory injections the scrotum reduced to normal size but the blister didn't reduce, and pus discharge continues to date.

Pus culture reports show presence of E.coli and Pseudomonas. Also i suspect there is Ecthyma on his hind leg since last2 weeks. Constant pus discharge from ruptured wound.

He has also developed ascites .His stools are  black and very loose..Pls help because the vet here has given up too soon

the dog has no problem in medical history. He was extremely fine . but now he is critical

Pls Help me and my dog.

-Ravichandran K.R.

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Please know I am not a vet or in the medical field, just someone who has some knowledge of certain health issues.

The decrease in appetite, change in stools, sounds like liver problems. The blood tests for liver panel would include alkaline phosphatase - do you know what that level was? Also they can further breakdown an increased alk phos level to isoenzymes to determine if the increase is from bone or liver problems. With the infection in the dogs leg - I would get an exray to see if there is a bone problem or a tumor. And an exray or ultra sound of the liver. Some liver tumors are not cancer.
      Unfortunately the development od ascites signify advanced liver disease or cancer as well.
      My best to you and your pet, Holly

2. flread45 profile image81
    flread45posted 6 years ago

By your descibing the symtoms and the age of your dog,I would say it has cancer..

1. Ravichandran91 profile image60
      Ravichandran91posted 6 years ago in reply to this

The vets here ruled out that possibility. they ssay its something to do with his liver

and if it was Cancer, where would it be?